Zelda's Awakening.

The Guardians had swarmed through the forest only a few minutes after Link had convinced Zelda to continue to flea. With the Castle out of bounds, Link was heading towards the only other defendable position he knew.

Fort Hateno wasn't that far away and so with the two of them in full flight, Link and Zelda made it in half the time they normally would. Zelda and Link didn't have time to rest, they were running on adrenaline.

Finally, they came past the twin peaks of the mountain, and beheld the sight of nightmares.

Guardians littered the field, rampaging over the old ruins of old buildings, lighting the place on fire. Some of the Sheikah warriors were trying to hold them at bay while the rest tried to secure the fort before the Guardians could break through. The fires were the only source of light against the blackened sky.

Link took Zelda's hand and pulled her behind the rubble of a charred tree as a Guardian bolt shot past them. Link raised the Mastersword and leapt out at the very moment the Guardian that had shot at them came nearer. With a strong slice of the Mastersword, one of the many legs of the Guardian split apart and fell to the ground.

Link couldn't believe the amount of energy he had to use to cut of that leg. In the split second it took him to recover, another Guardian walked through the flames and shot a bolt straight into Link's chest, sending him flying backwards.

Zelda was still hiding behind the trees, horrified at what she saw. Link didn't have time to check his injuries, though he knew he had probably just broken a few ribs upon his landing. He jumped to his feet and ran at the first Guardian, plunging the Mastersword into it's eye, killing it. As it's legs lost their stability, the malice seemed to evaporate off and left it drained of colour.

Another blaster bolt came at Link, this time, aimed at his shoulder. It was good that it hit his left shoulder, and he has right handed. He knew that his shoulder was dislocated or worse, but that didn't matter. What did matter was protecting Zelda. He sprinted forward and slid the Mastersword under one of the Guardian's legs, slicing it off. It became disoriented as it stumbled, that gave Link the chance, he plunged sword into it's eyes, just like he had done the last one. The malice left as it fell.

***

Link was fatally injured. He had already disposed of many Guardians, they packed quite the punch with every blast. It was a miracle that he wasn't dead already, nearly every bone in his body was broken or damaged, making every movement a wave of agony. Link couldn't die yet, be didn't have time for dieing. He had to protect Zelda, even if that meant sacrificing himself for her.

He was doubled over on his knees, the Mastersword in the ground as he leant of it for stability. His breathing was laboured and irregular, his chest heaving up and down. Zelda came to his side and put her hands on his back, trying to help him up.

"Link, save yourself! Go!" Zelda pleaded, noticing another Guardian approaching them, "I'll be fine! Don't worry about me!"

Zelda knew that if he didn't run, he would die. This was different to anything they had ever faced, if Link was hit by another blast, he would surely be too gone to do anything.

"Run!" She cried but Link took a deep breath before forcing himself to his feet, agony rushing over him.

He stumbled back, his vision blurring and his entire body feeling heavy. He could hear the intense thumping of his own heartbeats as the Guardian crawled over to them, coming towards Link. He held up the Mastersword, ready to go down fighting.

The Guardian came closer and looked over Link, the red beam targeting his crushed chest.

"NO!" In a rush of adrenaline, Zelda came forward.

She pushed Link out of the way, putting herself in his place. She raised her hand in defense, to save Link.

The world seemed to stop as a blinding golden light shone from her hand. The Triforce glowed and suddenly a bubble of golden energy shot out from it. The glow could be seen for miles, showing the people of Hateno Fort that she and Link were in need of help.

When the glowing stopped, Zelda looked up at the Guardian still looming over them. It started to shake violently before the malice separated from it and it fell to the ground. It wasn't just that one Guardian which fell, all the Guardians in the field was rod of the malice and dropped to the mud.

"Was... Was that... The power..." She stared at her hand as she lowered it.

She heard a thud from behind her. Zelda turned and saw Link, sprawled on the floor, dieing.

"No, no..." She knelt down next to him and held him in her arms, "Link! Get up!"

He coughed and spluttered, the fatigue and injuries finally weighing on him.

"You're going to be just fine..." She whispered to him, though they both knew she told him that for her own benefit.

She couldn't accept that he was dieing, this was Link! Link, the Hylian Champion, the King of  the Gerudo! But he had sacrificed all that to save her. She couldn't let him die! This was her fault!

Link only had the strength to look into her perfect eyes one last time. Blue met green, and Link tried to speak, he wanted to say so many things! No words made their way to his lips before all the strength left him... He collapsed in her arms, his body limp and his chest no longer heaving.

Zelda gawked as she saw the life drain from his eyes and his head roll back. His last breath escaped and he was gone...

"No..." She whispered, digging her head into his chest in defeat.

She sat there, cradling Link I'm her arms, holding him close as though if he would suddenly hug her back. He was gone. She cried into his chest, the chest with no heartbeat, for what seemed like an eternity. She had lost her Knight, her protector, her lover, her friend... The rain continued to pour all around her as she clutched his dead body.

Suddenly she heard a pulse, a sort of sound coming from the Mastersword. She raised her bloodshot eyes up to look and she saw it glowing blue.

"The sword...?"

She heard a whisper, a whisper only she could hear. It was Fi! The only words present in the jumble of noises were 'Not over'.

"So he can... He can still be saved?" She clutched his body closer.

"Princess!" Zelda's head snapped up at the sight of two Sheikah warriors that came running towards her.

One of them was Lord Robbie. They came running up and got on their knees, looking down at the body of the Hylian Champion.

"Princess! Are you all right?!" Robbie asked frantically.

"Take Link to the Shrine of Resurrection." She ordered before she had even realised what she was saying, "If you don't get him there immediately, we are going to lose him forever! Is that clear?!" She glared at the two, telling them that he was more important that anybody.

The two Sheikah nodded.

"So make haste and go! His life is now in your hands!"