Chapter 33

The first week of school flew by in a whirl of classes, homework, assignments, babysitting, and preparations for college applications.

Katie and Rebecca showed their faces again, the both of them sporting new boy toys that they were extremely happy to display very explicit PDA with them. We all knew Katie was simply trying to make Lucas jealous. However, much to her dismay, her attempts didn't seem to work, no matter how hard she tried.

Thankfully for me, I didn't have any classes with her or Rebecca, but that didn't stop her from trying to spread the rumor that Lucas and I had slept together mere hours after he'd broken up with her. And, because she was psychotic, she knew how to cry on command, and once again, Lucas and I were the talk of the school.

He came up to me at my locker couple days in, "Hey princess." He said with a smirk, throwing his arm over my shoulder.

"Hey yourself." I responded, pulling my Stats binder out of my locker.

"Have you heard the rumors going around about us?" He asked.

I made a fake interested fake, "No what are they?" I asked.

He sighed and made a gesture with his hand, "Oh you know, that we're just sleeping together. For about the umpteenth time in a year." He said.

I smiled wistfully, "Ah yes. Well a year ago yesterday was when you kissed me at lunch." I said, thinking back to much simpler times when he kissed me, I slapped him, and we hated each other. Sometimes I wondered what my life would have been like if he'd never kissed me in the first place.

He smirked, "I could do it again. You know, stir up the rumor pot." He said.

I gave him a too-sweet smile, "And I could slap you again." I said cheerily.

He just rolled his eyes, "Aw Princess, you could never slap me now. You love me too much." He said, messing up my hair.

I jumped away and fixed my hair before closing my locker. I gave him a look, "You wanna bet? You're a big boy, you'd be able to handle it." I said confidently.

That was when Rebecca and Katie decided to walk by, clutching onto the mannequins they called their boyfriends. When they passed us, Katie grabbed onto her boyfriend and started making out with him against the lockers right next to Lucas and I.

I looked at Lucas, who looked at me, and after a few seconds both of us burst out laughing, causing Katie and mystery boy to put a key in the lip-lock and pull away.

Katie, playing dumb spoke, "Oh Lucas. Sorry I didn't see you there." She said.

Lucas smirked, "Sure you didn't Katie." He said, not really seeming to care at all.

"Well it was good to see you. And...Ariel," she said my name with a sweetness I could practically taste. I returned it with a smile to match, "I hope you two are happy together." She said before walking away.

I started laughing as she made her way down the hallway, Lucas joining in.

Lucas spoke, "Anyways. You babysitting this weekend?" He asked me.

I nodded, "Yeah Friday to Sunday." I said.

He smirked, "How scandalous. Ariel Montgomery spending the entire weekend at Lucas Hunter's house! What will Katie say." He said dramatically.

I rolled my eyes and started walking to class, "I'll see you later Hunter." I said.

He called after me, "Love you princess!" He said.

I ignored the fact that his words made several groups of people (most of them freshman girls) start whispered frantically to each other.

As I was walking I caught a few words of one of the groups, "...someone told me that she's just a slut so they probably are sleeping together."