➵ XXI. Leaving Arguments

Friday, January 5th, 2018, 12:00pm

What a Wonderful World (Instrumental) - Louis Armstrong

Rei's POV

I look around the room.

Everything I brought is in my suitcase, which is lying open on the bed.

We've only been here for three weeks. It feels like it's been longer. I don't want to leave. I don't want to leave my brother or Dad, or even Asher.

I hear footsteps entering the room and look to see my twin brother.

"Hey Thunder," I say as he stands beside me.

Zaine took it upon himself to pick different nicknames for Raiden and Scott, ones that they don't mind having. Using google for name meanings, Zaine went with Thunder for Raiden, whose name apparently has a Japanese origin meaning God, spirit, Thunder, or lightning. Scott is now Wardog, something about his name meaning painted warrior, and after his position in training the pack's warriors.

Apparently Dean doesn't mind being called Winchester too much. Zaine made a nickname of his nickname and is now calling Dean, Winnie. That, I don't think Dean likes as much.

Raiden smiles softly, "Reina."

I suppress a smile. "What is it?"

He looks at me. "I, uh... Thought you would want to take this with you."

He holds out a snow globe. A bright smile appears on my lips, seeing the thing that meant so much to me. It was custom made, Raiden gave it to me for our fourteenth birthday.

Inside is a small model of the forest, with two black wolves walking through the few trees within, one wolf a little bigger than the other. Raiden said it was me and him. We didn't know what my wolf would look like then, but since we're twins, he guessed my wolf would be black like his. He was right.

The base is a music box too, with the wind-up key on the bottom. It plays the tune to What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong. I turn the key, and hum along to the tune.

Raiden looks at me sadly. "Do you really have to leave?"

"Yes," I reply softly, "we do."

"But we just got you back. And Strange... I don't want to be away from her, and neither does Reza."

"Reza won't ever like being away from her," I say. "He always was an overprotective and clingy wolf, enough to rival Asher's wolf."

Raiden's eyes turn amber, his wolf Reza taking control. "I'm not that bad."

"Ah, but the keyword there is that," I say, smiling. "Not that bad."

Reza huffs. "I'm not clingy, or overprotective. I'm reasonable, unlike Jayden."

"You are not," I reply. "Remember, we were once out walking and heard something in the bushes. You stood in front of me, and it turned out to be a rabbit."

"It sounded like it was bigger," Reza whines. "You're our sister, it's our job to protect you. We failed more than once before, we're not letting it happen again."

"I know," I say. "But I can protect myself, and so can Strange. We'll be fine, and she's coming back in a few weeks."

"But you aren't," Raiden says, his eyes fading back to their normal black. "Reza and I will miss her, but we'll also miss you. Why can't you stay here?"

"We can't," I reply.

"That's not a good reason," Asher's voice says from the doorway.

Raiden and I both look and see him walking into the room, hands in his pockets.