Chapter 10

If you like this chapter, please don't forget to vote and leave a comment!!

Thank you!

_____________________________________________________

Finally, a challenge. Thanatos thought this may be fun after all.

-Anala-

"I did it." I whisper to myself, " I'm free." I couldn't help the tears that escaped my eyes, and for the first time in eight years, I cried... I cry for everything I have lost. My mother, my family, my pack...and...and my mate. I cried for the mate that I had dreamed of my whole life. I cried for that damn coward who I know that deep down I will always love. Eight years of pent up frustration and pain came out, and it hurt. After all this time, after everything that's happened, it still hurt. It took three hours for my knees to finally crumble under pressure. I fell hard on the ground and felt the blood come down the side of my face as I hit the rock. But that was not nearly as bad as the pain I felt within. I couldn't even be sure which hurt the most, the shock of everything that happened or the ache for what never will... This wasn't supposed to happen! In my perfect world love would never hurt me! It was going to heal and be my haven from everything that happened. Love was supposed to make living fucking worthwhile. So why! Why was I the exception to the rule!

'Silly, silly girl." My father whispered in my ear "Do you actually think you matter to him?' I turned quickly swinging my fist, smashing the boulder to pieces. It took me a second to realize that no one was here. It was all in my head; I clutch my head. Those were my father's words...yes...I did think that I mattered to him...I wanted to believe that Xander was going to be the one. Suddenly I felt the rage burn within, consuming all trace of sadness inside. They did this to me! They underestimated me! They took my willingness to please as a weakness and used it to their advantage. I stare at my hands, pale and bony...but when I add just a little bit of force, I was able to turn this boulder into mere pebbles. I shook my head...

Embrace these feelings Ana... let's make them regret ever hurting us. Make them fall to their knees and beg for forgiveness. Ulrica whispered in my head. I shook my head...

NO! I roared, I am not a killer!

We're all killers, Ana. We've all killed parts of ourselves to survive...We all have blood on our hands. I close my eyes and shake my head furiously.

No...I whimper pitifully

THEN WHY ARE WE HERE? I open my eyes dumbfounded by the question.

WHY ARE YOU LOOKING BACK ON WHAT COULD'VE BEEN? She continued growling louder in my head, XANDER REJECTED US! GET OVER IT! I stopped breathing... it was like she had punched us in the gut. She spoke softly this time in my head.

Ana...we are finally free. We have an opportunity to make a future for us. Look, I know this hurts...and it will hurt for a long, long time. The pain of losing love never really stops...But look up Ana, Ulrica begged, and I did, there is a sky up there... beyond those tree branches...Beyond the leaves and thorns, there is a vast open sky. That sky has light no matter what...whether its stars, a moon, or the sun...There is always light and darkness... but this time this will be our choice to embrace it...So which do you want? The pain of staying where we are...crying alone in a forest or the pain of growing and facing whatever light and darkness this world has to offer? For once everything we wanted is ours for the taking. I felt the world shift around me and knew she was right. Of course, she was...Stumbling I managed to get to my feet and continue to walk. No matter how weak I felt, I kept walking.

You need food Ana, let's hunt Rica suggested softly, I nodded my head to tired to form words and fell to my hands and knees. The shift to my wolf wasn't bad but definitely not considered natural. Each bone was rejecting the change...each broke, but Rica was trying to numb the pain with distractions. In our minds, she showed me the moon and the way it lit up the night. It helps, and before I knew it, we were in our form. Rica took control and shot out through the night. It didn't take long before Rica managed to get two rabbits and a large coyote. It felt amazing to have food in us after so long; I could feel us getting stronger little by little. We made our way to a small clear stream, and without thinking, we jumped into it. The cold water on our fur was heavenly. Ulrica raises our head to the sky, and my breath gets caught in my throat. I was alone. Nothing from my past life could touch me. Not a single thing could harm me. I stared up at night and studied the silver glow of the moon. It was almost as warm as the sun itself; I felt the moon fill me with its warm glow warming my soul. I felt all my worries melt away and felt the tears start to form at the corner of my eyes with the rush of relief. Relief of never having to go back to that hellhole, to those cages... It felt good to cry; these were the tears that I didn't have to push away and hide from anyone. These were for me! The tears were not drops of sadness, no. They were my feeling of joy, happiness, and freedom running down my fur. Tonight I was under the protection of millions of stars and the beautiful moon. I heard a snap of a twig and felt Ulrica tense and spin around to face whoever was out there. We came face to face with another wolf baring its teeth at us. Ulrica gave a vicious growl and flashed her teeth at the intruder. He was a large brown wolf with white paws as if he dipped his two front paws in some paint. When we growled at him, he took a step back but otherwise kept his position.

Rica...I think we are on another Pack's territory...do you smell that? I warned Rica, and she took a sniff of the wolf, and we were right.

Shit ANA! We have to go. Rica screamed before walking backward. The wolf tried to lunge at us, but we dodged him and began running away from him. Suddenly we hear his howl break into the night.

The wolf is calling for back up! Rica growled thoroughly pissed; We could go back and kill him you know?

Rica! No! I shouted back, shocked. It won't be long before their Alpha comes running after us.

Fine. She grumbled disappointed, and I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

We have company Rica scowled. We jumped over a log and turned our heads. Three were currently on our tail and gaining speed.

Rica? What exactly can the souls do? I ask a plan starting to form.

Whatever you are thinking Ana, I really don't like. Rica chided

Oh, come on! When have my plans actually not worked? Rica thought about that and just shook her head.

Fine. She grumbled and came to an abrupt halt. The wolves circled us, and for a moment I doubted if my plan would work. I took a deep breath and took control of our body. I closed my eyes and brought out two souls...I urged them into the ground and made them expand and tie themselves together. I sent out a small prayer to the moon goddess that this works. When I feel my trap in place, I open my eyes. The wolves were preparing to jump at me and tear me apart. I look around and try to find a small opening. The biggest wolf came towards me growling at me his spit shooting everywhere. I make myself smaller getting my legs underneath me. I need one little opening.

There! Off the second wolf's left shoulder! Rica pointed out, and I jumped right as all three came barreling towards me! I felt the sharp sting as my shoulder caught the wolf's claw but managed to make it out before my trap sprang into motion. The wolves were flying through the sky on my makeshift rope trap. They were all tangled together trying and failing to cut the ropes of the souls. I didn't have time to see where they landed but judging by the loud thump I heard it wasn't far and that must have hurt. I took off the other way they came calling my souls back to me. I could feel the cut on my shoulder beginning to heal, but the scent of my blood was going to attract too much attention. I looked for a pile of mud and found some by another stream; I rolled around until I couldn't even smell anything and took off running again.

Ana...I smell more wolves...pack wolves. Rica cautiously said I stopped in my tracks looking around

Shit, are we running towards their pack again? This was getting ridiculous! How many packs are there in these woods? I tried turning the other way before I felt the reluctance from Rica

No! Go towards their pack and steal a car! Rica urged and for a minute I think she has gone completely crazy!

Are you crazy! We are rogue! And a blood wolf! They are not going to let us into their territory to steal a car! They will catch us! I shouted

No, they won't! Rica said confidently. I roll my eyes

How are you so sure of that? I ask exasperated

Use the soul to hide our scent! Rica pointed out.

We never tried that before! How are we going to know if it works! That's it we are going to die...that little bit of freedom we tasted was now kaput.

It will work, just trust me! I sighed contemplating this. If we get caught, we would have to fight to get out, and that could mean someone was getting hurt or killed. But if we did this...we could get out of the woods and try to find New York. Rica trusted me with my crazy idea, and now it was time to return the favor.

Okay! Fine! If we get caught, it's on you! I pouted

Cool! She said wagging her tail.

Dear Goddess, give me the strength to get through tonight. I think before I change back to my human form.