Chapter 2

Nadia

"Ex wife," I said quickly, wanting to clear that up as I shook Nate's hand.

"Well sometimes you forget to say ex," Aaron said with a shrug making me roll my eyes as he smiled.

"Right," Nate said with an awkward chuckle. He looked back towards Aaron as he asked, "So do I need to explain everything again or are we good to go?"

"We are all good Doc," Aaron confirmed.

Two nurses came over and one placed his IV since they didn't want to do it until they were sure somebody was going to show up for him. Then the other had him sign paperwork, asked my name, then said an anesthesiologist would be over very soon then on to the operating room.

I didn't even have to ask what this surgery was for since I know he has had on and off problems with his knee for years and this is his second surgery for it.

Once it was just me and Aaron I leaned in to aggressively whisper, "Why the fuck did you have them call me?"

"Because I knew you'd come," he said, making me roll my eyes.

"Where's your pregnant girlfriend? She couldn't come and sit up here for you and take you home?"

"No, because of that exact reason she's pregnant."

Oh yeah like that's a real excuse.

"Never again in my life," I said and he just chuckled.

My problem is I care too much about the people around me. Maybe more than I should for more than a few people, but my heart just will not let me turn my back on some people. No matter how bad they may have hurt me before unfortunately.

As I sat in the waiting room I was both dreading and looking forward to talking to Nate when he comes out once Aaron is moved to recovery.

I know with most surgeries the doctor is usually the one to come out and talk to you about how the surgery went, but he didn't. An operating room nurse did. I guess he was avoiding me. I couldn't blame him since I left without telling him after the one night we shared together.

After another hour I was pulling my car around so they could bring Aaron out in a wheelchair and help him into the car. While they helped him I placed the crutches they provided for him in the back of my car then got back in the driver's seat.

"Still so sexy," Aaron said as I was putting my seatbelt on.

I rolled my eyes as I turned my music up. I wanted a quick and quiet car ride.

It didn't take us long to get to his house. As I pulled in front of the driveway Aaron's hoe came outside damn near screeching. "What the fuck? You said your brother was gonna be the one there to take you home. Not her!"

"Shut the hell up, Shaniece," Aaron said.

Not my business. I got him his crutches from the back and he got out with her help since she insisted. I gave her the paper with all of his recovery instructions, his prescription, and I left.

••

"I'm about to go to lunch," I said to my coworker.