06

A week had passed and Jenny Stevens was the talk of the town; well, more specifically, her rendezvous with a newcomer every morning. Everyone was curious about the relationship and they wanted it to thrive because, after all, it was Jenny.

     Jenny was the unofficial town mascot. If anyone asked what it was like to live in the town of Mystic Falls, they'd point out Jenny. She was the happiest human being alive and, therefore, the town must be a very happy place. Jenny was an idol to the town that everyone aspired to live up to. So, her relationship with Elijah Smith was something for the whole town to talk about.

      And it wasn't hard to notice.

      Jenny walked with Elijah down the sidewalk to the parking lot where her car was parked. Her arm was linked with his. She noticed all the eyes of them and small whispers as people passed them. And she noticed the small smirk that Elijah wore as if he knew what they were saying.

     "I'd say we're getting quite a lot of attention," Jenny announced. "I can't imagine the rumors."

     "Perhaps, we should give them another," Elijah suggesting, flirting. "Something to really talk about."

     Jenny bit her lip with a smile and her eyes twinkled with mischief, "What do you have in mind?"

     Jenny looked up at him as they came to halt next to her car. He looked down at her with adoration in his eyes. He'd like to believe that he was still a free man, but looking down at her in that moment, he knew he wasn't. He was irrevocably chained to her from the moment he laid eyes on her and her smile that was so full of life and beauty it took his breath away. It still took his breath away, even now.

He didn't know where his brain went in her presence. His brain was null and void while his heart took the reins. He wasn't a man to believe in love, let alone love at first sight, but he was starting to understand how such things were possible.

      Some things were too beautiful to comprehend and love became an automatic response. Jenny was too beautiful to comprehend.

     Elijah leaned down towards her and laid a kiss on her cheek. Anyone at a distance would have believed they were kissing. Jenny had her breath taken away. His lips were soft and lingered a little too long, causing her face to heat up and her heart beat like a drum. She closed her eyes to the feeling, the way her heart tightened as it filled with joy, but Elijah pulled away and she opened her eyes, a sigh leaving her lips.

    The air was charged around them and they were both in their own little bubble with each other to notice anything else. She gave him a toothed smile and pulled her arm away from him as she said what they always ended with, "Tomorrow."

     "Tomorrow," Elijah smiled along with her.

    The two of them never said goodbye to each other. Their endings were always filled with the promise of more beginnings. They always kept the belief that there was another day. It was something that would never change.

___________

It was the next day after she had met Elijah for coffee that morning. She had gone home to find a single rose on her porch. There was no note or anything and she didn't think anything of it. She just set it inside her house.

Later in the day, she went over to the Gilbert house after having checked the mail. She along with Jenna still got their mail mixed up. She knocked on the door and waited.

"How many times must I say just to come in?" Jenna asked as she swung the door open.

"I can't help it," Jenny admitted as she stepped through the door. "It's a habit. You know that."