Chapter 5: Her heart

Both General Hai Bojing and Jia Huian only go back to Hai Residence late in the afternoon before it is dark.

For General Hai Bojing, he found out that Prime Minister Jia Peizhi is not as hateful as he had previously thought him to be. They might differ in their opinions and views but they have the same purpose, which is to serve Emperor Rong Xiaoli.

He even found out that it is possible for the main wife and the concubine to live harmoniously as both madams are quite respectful towards each other. Though the First Madam seems to be a bit awkward with the Second Madam and Jia Huian, she is quite warm and acceptable when it comes to Second Young Master Jia Ping. That adorable rice ball is definitely adorable and hard to resist.

First Young Master Jia Ying seems to be quite sensible and wise despite being 7 years younger than him. He feels a bit unsatisfied for having to call him as 'elder brother-in-law'. Though his elder brother-in-law always have a smile display on his face, he seems to be more calculating than his father, Prime Minister Jia Peizhi. If he is not, there is no way he could escape from having to marry Eight Princess Rong Wan a year earlier. She stubbornly insisted to marry no one else but him for the last few years but somehow she has to marry a neighbouring prince due to an unfortunate incident.

During the Spring Banquet, she was found in the same room with the neighbouring prince. She insisted that she is still a pure and chaste young lady but one of the experienced mamas¹ said that she is no longer one. Why? In their Kingdom, all young lady will be marked with a virgin mark which will only disappear once they are no longer a virgin. Both the Eight Princess and the neighbouring prince vehemently said that they did not do anything but there was nothing else to be done except for a plan of marriage.

But, amidst the commotion, he saw a lone figure standing behind the crowd as that person mockingly smiles as he watched the incident before disappearing from his sight. He did not know who is that person then but after meeting the First Young Master, he now knows who that person is. As he smiles knowingly, that person smiles too as they looked into each others' eyes. Maybe, just maybe... His assumption is correct after all.

The carefree son of the Prime Minister is not that carefree after all. He never shows any interest in fame and power but he is definitely not as simple as he seems to be.

As they arrived at the Hai Residence, all 3 of her remaining maidservants are waiting for their arrival at the main gate. One of them puts a wooden stool in front of the carriage door, Jia Huian gently holds onto Chunhua's hand while he gently holds onto her other hand as he watches her gracefully steps out of the carriage. Once she is out, the rest of her maids are clamouring around her. One seems to be checking her outfit. One is checking her appearance and hair. One smile and casually talks with Chunhua.

He feels a bit left out with these warm interactions between Jia Huian and her maidservants. Sensing that something is wrong, Jia Huian turns her head to look at the man standing behind her.

"Bojing... Are you alright?"

She then grasps his hand as she smiles warmly, "Let us go and greet mother-in-law, Chuntao said that she is waiting for us."

General Hai Bojing nods his head and says, "En... Huian, we are home."

When she heard his words, he notices that there is a slight falter in her smiles, her gaze seems to be slightly distant as well. He immediately pulls her into his embrace and gently pats her small back.

"Huian, whatever it is that worries you, will not happen. I am here for you. Mother is here for you too. Your maidservants will not leave your side as well."

Jia Huian stares at him before she looks away and softly sighs. His heart feels a slight tug of dread as she seems to be suddenly acting somewhat distant. This is not good... Has he somehow done a mistake somewhere for her to act like this?