Twenty Eight

Skylar's POV

Mom and Dad did come by the next morning. Or maybe just Dad did. I wouldn't know.

Not when the moment I woke up, they were gone once again. And the only two things that told me they were indeed here just hours ago was the newly installed alarm system, and a tiny note stuck on the fridge.

It was in Dad's neat handwriting. I didn't waste my time reading it. I didn't waste my time calling them on the phone either.

All I could do was lean against the kitchen counter and wonder what it would've been like if I wasn't an only child. Perhaps that way my parents wouldn't have been so fucking neglecting.

Two whole days passed by with no such contact from my parents. Mom, however, texted me once, giving me basic instructions on the new alarm system. As if that was the most important thing right now.

They both were probably just trying to prolong it even more, trying to come up with something to tell me. And I had a feeling they won't be telling me the truth. Because if they had wanted to, they would've told me everything on that phone call.

But they hadn't. I couldn't let go of it so easily. Didn't I deserve an explanation?

At school though, things went on the same. I didn't see Caden after the incident at my house. I didn't see him in the school hallways, I didn't see him in class either. And if I did see him once or twice, he didn't bother having a chat either.

Not that I was complaining. Until I started feeling guilty at the way I had acted towards him that night.

I had been rude when the least I could've done was thank him after he had practically saved my life. Maybe it had been wrong of me to accuse him like that. Just because he had almost kissed me and made me a confused mess of emotions, didn't mean he had set up that whole break-in when he was the one who helped me through it. It could've gotten a lot worse if Caden hadn't been there.

I tried pushing back that slight guilt, but it didn't work.

I needed to apologize to him.

So I decided I'd go to school a bit early the next morning. Hopefully, the classroom would be empty and Caden would be there (which, let's be honest, who was I kidding?), and I'd go to him and apologize then. That's the least I could do.

But my plan went completely down the drain when I woke up a little too late than usual the next morning.

Only five minutes remained before my first class started. Alex hadn't even bothered waking me up, all because of the party hangover from last night. He was still asleep when I called him, apparently skipping school again.

So much for partying all night.

I somehow made it to school, without a ride from Alex, running in the hallways towards my class.

I was so dead today.

And I was actually so sure of that, mainly because the first class was Physics and Mr Frank hated when I came in late--something that I'd like to say doesn't happen quite often, but it did.

He was going to kill me and send one of those complaint emails to my parents and I'll end up being grounded.

God, why did this always happen to me?

Once I neared the classroom, I stopped abruptly and inhaled a deep breath. Then I knocked on the door before entering, only to realize that Mr Frank was in between giving one of his infamous how-physics-can-make-you-a-better-person lectures. And then he noticed me.