𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈. RELATIONS

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIXRELATIONS

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
RELATIONS

§ § §

I glared at Lupin and Sirius. "You said Peter before. Peter who?" I asked them.

"Pettigrew. He was at school with us. We thought he was a friend." Lupin explained.

"No, Pettigrew's dead. He killed him." I look accusingly at Sirius.

Sirius laughed, but Lupin interjected. "I thought so too, that is, until Harry mentioned seeing Pettigrew on the map."

I turn quickly to my brother. "What?"

"I was walking in the corridors one night with the Marauder's Map, and I saw Pettigrew's name on it." Harry shrugged, then looked at Lupin. "But you took it from me and said the map was lying!"

"The map never lies." Sirius scoffed. "Pettigrew's alive. And he's right there." Sirius pointed to Ron.

Ron went white with fear. "M-me? He's mad!"

"Not you, idiot. Your rat!" Sirius rolled his eyes.

"Scabbers? Scabbers as been in my family for-"

"Twelve years." Sirius raised his eyebrows at me and I nodded, confirming it. I would know, I grew up with the Weasleys. "A curiously long life for a garden rat. He's missing a toe, isn't he?"

Ron was confused. "So what?"

My eyes widened with realization. "All that was left of Pettigrew was a-"

"Finger." Sirius finishes grimly. "Dirty coward cut it off so everyone would think he was dead. Then he transformed into a rat."

It made perfect sense. Harry and I look at each other. I want to believe him. I tell him.

Me too. But he was in Azkaban! What if he's bluffing? Harry replied.

We noticed everyone staring at us, confused on what we were doing. I realized we never had told anyone about our... ability. I ignore them and Harry and I turn to Sirius.

"Show us." We say at the same time.

I glance at Scabbers, who was frantically moving in Ron's grasp.

Lupin and Black turn to Ron, who hold Scabbers protectively. "What're you going to do to him?" He asks nervously.

Sirius and Lupin exchange a glance. "Together?" Lupin asked.

"Together." Sirius nods.

Scabbers frees himself from Ron's grip and makes a run for it, but Lupin and Sirius shoot a spell at the rat at the same time, and in mid-run, Scabbers transforms. There now a sat a short man with thinning hair.

"S-S-Sirius... R-Remus..." He grinned slightly. "My old friends."

Ron and I backed up in disgust, now knowing we grew up with that in the house. Pettigrew's eyes darted from the window, to the door, and then he made a run for it.