SIXTEEN

September 27, 20XX-Saturday

The news of the murder was spreading, I was sure of it. But just how far? We didn't know because we didn't have access to TV or a cell phone. All we had was each other. So we had to be extra cautious because we were at a disadvantage. 

Which is why I was at the thrift store buying a couple of cheap clothing and whatever else I could find. 

Taehyung and I weren't far out of town yet. How could we when his clothes were covered in blood?

I pulled out a shirt similar to one that he was wearing and thought back to when we were running away.

We were running away through the back alleys when Taehyung fell over, catching sight of his bloodstained hands as he landed on them. His eyes widened and he started freaking out, having a panic attack. 

"What have I done?! They're going to catch us, they're going to catch us, they're going to catch us. It was all for nothing." He started hyperventilating.

My own heart was beating so rapidly, I thought I was going to throw up, and Taehyung not budging was making everything worse.

"I shouldn't have involved you! I shouldn't have!" He whimpered and sat back against the building, in tears, as he looked at his hands.

I spotted a few water bottles in the trash can behind the building and grabbed them.

"Give me your hands!" I ordered.

He looked up at me and I've never seen such an expression. He was so innocent yet guilty.

I bit my lip and took his hands in mine, transferring as much blood onto my hands from his.

"See this? I've got his blood on my hands too. You aren't alone in this." I told him before grabbing the water bottles and one by one using whatever water was left in them to clean our hands.

"Now, we're clean. I washed it all away. We're in this together, Taehyung. I don't know where we're going or what we can do, but we'll figure it out because we have each other. Now let's go."

As he got up, I tugged his shirt off and threw it in the dumpster before taking his hands and running until we were lucky to find shelter in a cargo container in a freight station.

At the time, I told Taehyung we could make it, but it became more real to me when I was all alone shopping for him.

We were just a couple of teenagers. 

How could we go up against cops?

Not wanting Taehyung to worry, I sped up shopping and grabbed a couple of shirts, beanies, pants, and even a blanket and a backpack for us. 

Only having to stop by a local retail store for underwear, I made it back quickly. 

I pulled back the door and spotted Taehyung laying down in the center of the car, staring at the ceiling with his arms behind his head. 

Hearing me open the door, he sat up.

"Was it enough money?" Taehyung asked as I sat down with the bags in front of him.

I smiled and nodded. "Just enough. I wasn't able to get too much, but enough to keep us warm."

For now.

I bit my lip as I nervously thought about the winter approaching us.

Taehyung stared at my face for a while and when I realized he was, I smiled at him, not wanting him to worry.

Suddenly, he leaned in and kissed my cheek before taking the bag and going to change.

I took the other bag and went to change in the other side of the car.

Once finished, we met back in the middle where he suddenly grinned widely, revealing such a wide smile that I couldn't help but return one of my own.

He opened the door and we walked around the empty station, just enjoying a little freedom from the tiny container car. 

Slowing down my steps, I stayed behind a bit to watch him.

He was teetering around on the railroad tracks, probably lost in his own little world.

Taehyung and I never really discussed what he actually did.

I thought that knowing wouldn't make a difference and talking about it would only hurt Taehyung more.

But maybe if I had known more, I would have known what was coming for us.

And we could've made it.