My thoughts on After

Hey y'all. It's been a while since I last updated this list and I apologize for not keeping up with it. I haven't been reading a lot of fanfics that much anymore because I have a full time job at a daycare now and I met some new friends so I've been busy a lot in my spare time. Being an adult sucks ass but at the same time it's good to have some freedom.

So anyways...enough with my current life story, let's get on to what I wanted to really talk about. You all obviously know the fanfiction After by, imaginator1d (Anna Todd) was one of the most popular fanfics in the One Direction fandom in 2013. I've been asked by A LOT of people about it and why I don't have it on my list. It's gotten to the point where I would have to delete their comment because I was getting tired of being asked the same question. So I decided to confirm my answer about what I think about the series.

Here we go.

Please don't hate me when I say this... I'm not a fan of After. I never really read the books and I don't plan on doing that anytime soon. I only tried to read the first book to see what the hype was all about but I couldn't get into it. It just wasn't what I expected. I know the story was written in 2013 but I still found the writing amateur and the plot cliche (not saying my writing is any better since my work isn't published and didn't reach 1 billion reads or get movies based on it), it looked like a young teenager wrote it. I was shocked to find out it was written by a 25 year old woman at the time when her real age was revealed in 2014.

I also found the relationship between them was very toxic and repetitive that it got to the point where I couldn't read it anymore. I know they got better in the end of the 3rd book, I was done wasting my time on it. Before you all tell me "relationships are not all about sunshine's and rainbows. They come in different forms. They go through issues," I'm well aware of that. I've been in relationships with guys before and some of them never ended well. Obviously relationships have their ups and downs and go through issues but I found Hessa's very unhealthy. They shouldn't have even ended together.

Not only did he take her virginity as a bet and showed the bloody sheets to his friends afterwards, they also had this repetitive cycle; breaking up and rekindling their relationship over and over again. It just gave me a headache. I found out that she ended up leaving him for good but they ended up getting back together AGAIN officially because he "changed". Like...WHAT? Why give the person who's hurt you multiple times another chance? I sure as hell wouldn't. Even he said that he changed.

It's like the book is trying to give you false hope about toxic relationships, telling you that everything will be okay in the end because the person who hurt you will end up "changing" into a better person for you. It's fiction and I get that's the whole point of it but so many young girls worship their relationship and I've seen them talk about how they want a relationship like that and I found that kind of concerning. I admit I like punk Harry fanfics and have read some with toxic relationships but I still enjoy them without romanticizing the toxicity of the relationship. As long as if the story has a good plot and it's well written, it's worth reading. But sadly After wasn't my cup of tea. If I were to rate it I'd probably give it a 2/10.

To be honest, in my opinion I feel like it didn't deserve a lot of hype. There a lot of other fanfics out there that deserved more. I'm sorry. That's just my opinion. I'm not trashing Anna Todd, she has come so far and it's nice that she's following her dream, its just that I couldn't get into her writing like most people did.

I really hope you all respect my opinion. If you get offended by it then again...I'm sorry. Feel free to unfollow me and think I'm an idiot for not liking it. I don't care. You can love the books all you want, I'm not stopping anyone, just know that not everyone is going to like it. Maybe one day I'll officially change my opinion & actually force myself to read it but for now, this is what I think about it.