Chapter 17: i would never hurt my family

The beasts POV

Protect Vasva.

The human was fighting for control, but I kept her in the cage for now.

Protect Vasva.

Dwarves surrounded us, their earthy scent filling my nostrils. They held odd claws in their paws, but the threat was still there. I growled, placing myself between my mate and the threat. I would die if it kept him safe. I looked for the weakest link, finding it instantly. A hobbit. It held no threat, and was pale with fear.

My annoyed gaze flickered to the pups who were at the back of the pack. I needed to protect them also. I huffed in annoyance as I realised I couldn't save them if the pack still saw me as a threat. I sat, taking on a none threatening stance. The dwarves calmed instantly, but still kept a firm hold on their weird claws.

'Give me control!'

I glowed in annoyance as the human tried to shout me into submission. The dwarves made odd noises I couldn't understand, but their bodies were stiff and threatening. I didn't like it. The pups were closer. I felt a hand resting on my shoulder as a wave of calm washed over me. The cage keeping the human at bay broke and I slinked back to allow her control.

Luka POV

Finally the she-wolf allowed me to take control once more. Thorin stood beside me, his rough hand resting on my shoulder, sending waves of calmness through me.

"Thorin! Get away from that beast!" Dwalin cried, earning a growl from me. I was no beast!

"Th-that is no b-beast...it's her...it's..Luka" bilbo stuttered, looking at me with wide eyes. A soft, satisfied growl left me. I cocked my head thinking. Slowly, I padded forward, moving as calmly and none threateningly at possible. Bilbo froze as I stopped in front of him. I wagged my tail slightly before moving forward once more. Bilbo squeezed his eyes closed and fell back onto his behind. I kept calm as I leapt forward and stopped his fall. I moved like a lighting bolt, and was behind the hobbit in a second flat, cushioning his fall. Everyone froze for a moment, no one breathing. I nudged bilbo with my head, ignoring how close the pups were getting.

"It really is Luka!" Someone gasped as bilbo slowly raised a hand and stroked my head. I growled softly as his soft hand massaged my head. I jumped as I felt another pair of hands stroking my raven fur, but calmed down when I saw it was just the pups. Bilbo sat up, and the three started stroking my fur, laughing about the silk like texture. I blinked slowly, by head drooping as the soothing feeling sent me to sleep.

As weird as this was, it was soothing.

"See, she is no beast" Gandalf voice came from the shadows. I stood, rolling my eyes slightly as the two pups followed me like, well...pups. I trotted over to a blanket, that Ori had been snuggled up in before, on one of the benches and tried to wrap it around myself. After a moment of struggle, I felt a pair of strong hand helping me. Thorin. Once I was covered, I shifted, whining as the pain of my bones snapping and rearranging themselves got to me. Once I was fully shifted, I looked up, smiling tiredly.

"I suppose you want the full story?" I laughed breathlessly.

*****

"Well, what I said before was true. I was born like this.-"

"So no curse?"

"No, no curse"

"What are you then?" Dwalin snapped, making me roll my eyes. He was such a moody bugger.

"I am what races once called a: skin-changer, though we have many other names. As far as I know, I am the last of my kind. My entire race was slaughtered and enslaved by orcs. Thousands died, my family included. Yet I managed to escape, but with a cost." I brushed my hair from my face to show the hideous scars.

"I escaped with a friend, but I do not know if he still lives. It has been many, many years. My family, my home...my old life was all taken from me, leaving me with nothing. I promised myself that day I would never allow that to happen to anyone again, be that by Orc or dragon. But I have...other...reasons too. As you saw, I take the form of a black wolf. But understand this...I would never hurt any of you. I may be a monster but I would never hurt my pack." I looked Thorin in the eyes then, trying to show that I meant it. I would never hurt my family.

Thorin stared at me a few moments, an unreadable expression on his face. His face softened, but then it disappeared. A deep frown came upon his face, and my heart sank.

"Get some rest, we leave tomorrow" he suddenly snapped, standing up and storming past me. I lowered my head in submission as he past, my wolf whimpering. The company scrambled around, getting ready for tomorrow and trying find a suitable place to sleep without a bedroll, as they had been lost along with the ponies.

I sighed and retreated into the shadows. I shivered as the ice cold wind stung my bare arms. I yearned for the comfort and heat of my fur. I sighed. I couldn't...but I was so cold. I shifted. My four paws softly hit the ground, as I sighed with happiness as my fur gave me warmth. Luckily, the blanket hadn't been ripped during my shift, so I picked it up in my mouth and trotted closer to the fire. In this form, I felt more confident, I was able to ignore The wary glances I got from the others. I set the blanket down by the fire and laid down on it.

I was soon comforted by warmth, as I laid my head on my paws and shut my eyes. I jumped as I felt the weight of two bodies cuddling up to my side. I raised my head to look at the two pups who now lay on me, stealing my warmth. I mentally chuckled and laid down again, curling round the two brothers even more.

At least not everyone was terrified of me.

*******

Sorry, a very short chapter I know, but next stop, goblin town!! What cha tink? Good, bad? Vote? Comment? :) have a lovely day/ night xx