t h r e e - i was hoping you'd say that

all you want is just to hold her
but she don't go for that
she has a hard time coming
when she can't hit b a c k . . .

▪️▫️▪️

"How was she today? I hope she didn't wear you out," Mrs. Ferguson chuckled.

"No, not at all," I smiled, trying not to seem as tired as I am. "We played dress up for a little while and then she insisted on watching Sleeping Beauty, of course."

"Well, thank you as always, Victoria. She really, really enjoys spending time with you," she told me as she searched through her purse.

"And I love being with her too," I agreed with another grin. "She's like my baby sister."

She smiled at me again, then pulled out her checkbook from her purse and wrote out my usual weekly check.

"Here you go, sweetie. Thanks again," she breathed, handing the slip to me.

"You're welcome," I put my check in my small satchel.

"Wait!" Gracie's voice came from the living room. Mrs. Ferguson and I laughed together as she came sprinting over to us and attached herself to my long legs. "Don't go, Vicky!"

She was pretty much asleep on the couch from watching the movie, so I assumed I could leave in peace. But she has a radar on me and wouldn't let that happen.

"Gracie, please behave," Mrs. Ferguson calmly told her.

"But I want to play some more," she whined, looking up at me and sticking out her lower lip.

"I'm sorry, but I'll see you on Monday, okay?" I reminded her.

"That's too far away!" She cried out.

I chuckled, shaking my head as I gave Mrs. Ferguson a smile before kneeling down to Gracie's height. I put my hand on her shoulder, looking into her big blue eyes.

"How about this – if it's alright with your mom, I'll come over tomorrow and we can go to the park," I suggested.

Gracie turned to her mom with a wide grin, folding her hands together and jumping up and down. "Oh can she, Mommy? Please, please, please!"

"Calm down, dear," Mrs. Ferguson laughed at her hyper daughter, patting Gracie on the head. "Victoria, are you sure?"

"Of course," I stood back up with a grin.

"Alright, sounds like a date," she nodded. "I can pay you again tomorrow if you want. Or I can add it to next week's check-"

"No, it's fine. Consider it a free afternoon," I denied her offer. She just smiled gratefully at me.

"You're too kind," she gushed.

I hugged Gracie goodbye and then waved to Mrs. Ferguson before going outside. I got into my car and pulled away from their house, turning up the radio and heading back home.

It's been about a week and a half, so it's Friday night now. It's only 6 o'clock so it's still relatively early, and Blair told me about Rick having a party tonight at his house. I don't think we're going for a little while, so I have plenty of time to go home, relax and change my clothes until we leave.

I arrived home a few minutes later, seeing my dad's car parked in the driveway so that must mean he's home. I pulled in next to him and shut my car off, then skipped to the front door and let myself in.

"I'm home!" I called out. "Hi guys," I nodded at the mural beside me.

When I didn't hear anyone answer me back, I knit my eyebrows together and listened for a sound. But I heard nothing.