Chapter 37 - Solutions

JADEN

Zoe is a bundle of nerves and asked Jess and I to keep her company. She called Jess right after the paramedics got Charlie in the ambulance and I must admit that panic filled me. My girlfriend kept calm, reassured her that we would come to the hospital as soon as possible and then grabbed her keys. When we arrived, we found Zoe by herself in the waiting room. Jess touched her arm and she got startled. She told us that she was waiting for the police and that she didn't want to be alone.

Chief Davids walks into the the waiting room with another agent, a man I've seen before but can't place immediately. 

"Jaden... Are you here for someone?" He asks.

"For the same person who called the police about Charlie. This is Zoe Ridder," I motion to her and she stands up.

"Miss Ridder, can you tell us what happened?"

"Charlie and I said goodbye, and he walked towards his car in the parking lot. I was waving at him from the stairs of the school when a car accelerated towards him. With the other noises around, I didn't even realize that it was running. It looked like a badly parked car waiting for someone to come out of school, which isn't unusual. The car was a compact, but I'm not sure what color it was as it was dark and it didn't have the lights on. When it hit Charlie, it didn't stop and continued in the street screeching its tires. Charlie rolled over the hood of the car and fell next to it on the concrete. We all ran to him and he was motionless, I thought he was dead. Until one of my students checked for pulse and he was still alive."

Zoe shudders and I place my hand on her shoulder to comfort her. Jess tries to stay strong and wipes a few tears roughly.

"What kind of relationship do you have with Charlie Monroe?" Davids asks as he reads his notes.

"Charlie and I are dating. I'm also his teacher."

Teacher? Why does Charlie need a teacher?

"How's the relationship with your exes?" The other agent asks.

"Ex, as in one person. He was my high school sweetheart who figured after many years together that he's more interested in men. We have a great relationship and is one of my closest friends even when he lives far away from here. So if what you are assuming is that I might have a jealous ex-boyfriend that is not it," Zoe says and her cheeks turn red.

"Do you know if Charlie has had a conflict with anybody recently?" Davids ask Jessica and I.

"Not that I know of," I reply. "Charlie isn't like me."

Davids nods and writes something on his notepad.

"He is a noble guy with a good heart. He's been going to school, spending time with Zoe or working at the café. His social life is limited to the guys and he isn't the kind of man that looks for conflict. Everybody seems to love him," Jess says.

"What about his previous relationships?"

"He's never had a girlfriend. He has dated a few girls in the past, but they never went further than a date or two. Mostly from their side," Jess responds.

"I'm hoping that one of the businesses around the school has a camera, so that we at least can check what kind of car it was and hopefully get a license plate. I've alerted the team and we'll have some people patrolling around your house and the restaurant until we know more," he says to Jess. 

"Thanks, Chief," Jess says.

"Keep your eyes open and alert us of any suspicious activity in the area."

We nod and return to the waiting area of the emergency room as the agents leave.

"Zoe, you said that you are Charlie's teacher. What do you teach him?" I ask.