t w e n t y-s e v e n - is that how it works?

silly love songs made me so sick
couldn't stand them,
now they all c l i c k . . .

▪️▫️▪️

"So I've been thinking," Blair suddenly turned to me.

I raised an eyebrow at her, but kept my focus on my history homework in front of me. I've got to get this done.

"Oh yeah?" I smirked a little.

"Yes," she insisted with a nod. When she didn't continue, I knew she wanted my full attention.

With a sigh, I put my pen down and leaned back in my seat. I rested my hands on my stomach and looked up at her. "Go on," I sang.

"Okay," she grinned, spinning more in her seat to completely face me. "You and Josh are together now, right?"

"Correct," I said flatly. Not because of Josh and I being together, but because of her enthusiastic attitude and how draining it can be in the morning while I'm trying to get my history homework done that I procrastinated until the last minute with.

"Mhm, so I was thinking about it and we should do a double date!" She squealed, bouncing in her chair.

"Who? You, Matt, Josh and I?" I asked, and she nodded for my clarification.

"We can just go to Fry It Up or something, it doesn't have to be fancy. But I thought it'd be cute if he came along with us for our Saturday night tradition of going there and getting half-priced apps, you know?" She explained, and now I nodded. "I figured since you guys have been together for-"

"Blair, it's barely been a week, okay? Chill out," I chuckled. I sat up and started working on my history again, but she just kept talking anyway.

It's Tuesday morning at school and like I said, it's been a little over a week since I got back from the cabin. Nothing has really changed between Josh and I, other than the fact that we can kiss more now. We act pretty much the same and we don't rub in everyone's faces that we're together. Even though our friends constantly teasing us doesn't help.

I haven't heard the end of it, especially from Rick because he said this would happen from the beginning. He told me that he was rooting for us to hook up ever since Josh took an interest in me, which is apparently for a longer time than I thought.

Even though it's embarrassing, I still can't help but find it adorable that his friends all wanted us together.

"So? It's not like you just met – you've known each other for awhile and we should go out together," she justified.

"Fine," I breathed. "I'll ask him and see what he says. But he's probably going to be really busy with wrestling since states are in a couple weeks."

"Great!" She chirped. I just chuckled at my obnoxious best friend.

For a little while, we sat quietly as I tried to finish my homework. I did what I could and when I reached for my bag to put my folder away, Blair started talking again. Our adviser sent us a few wary glances, but never said anything.

We're really the only ones that ever talk in this class, everyone else mainly keeps to themselves. Then again, there's only nine of us in this study hall anyway. We're supposed to be as quiet as we can, but with Blair as my best friend it's a little difficult.

"I'm curious about something," she said, twirling a piece of blonde hair in her fingers.

"What now?"