Chapter 32 - Robo-Bird-Friend

"Alright what do you see?" Cap asks over coms as I sip my coffee at a table on my own. I never had been to Lagos before now. I was in a black t-shirt and jeans, looking casual with some sunglasses on.

"Standard beat cops. Small station. Quiet street. It's a good target."  Wanda says who is also at a table with a drink.

"There's an ATM on the south corner, which means?"

"Cameras." I state.

"Both cross streets are one-way." I sip my drink and look around, scanning the scene.

"So, compromised escape routes."

"Means our guy doesn't care about being seen. He isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out. You see that Range Rover halfway up the block?"

"Yeah the red one. It's cute."  Of course Wanda would like the red.

"It's also bullet proof, which means private security, which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody. Probably us."

"You guys know I can move things with my mind right?"  I roll my eyes at Wanda.

"Looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature."

"Yeah who knows who will shoot you." I say looking down.

"Anybody ever tell you guys that you're a little paranoid?"  Sam speaks up. 

"Not to my face, why you hear something?" Nat responds where I respond with.

"Defiantly." 

"Eyes on target folks. This is the best lead we've had on Rumlow in six months. I don't want to lose him." 

"Who knows Cap, maybe I'm your good luck charm." I say smirking. 

"Sam, see that garbage truck? Tag it." Oh Sam will be happy now. He loves his little robo-bird-friend.

"That trucks loaded for max weight. And the drivers armed." 

"It's a battering ram." I say quickly. 

"Go now."  Cap orders us.

"What?" Wanda asks confused.

"He's not hitting the police."  I start running and quickly get to the entrance of the Institute For Infectious Diseases. It was a mess and Cap was already there. "Body armour. AR-15s. I make seven hostiles."

"I make five." Sam got to them before me? Oh I'm not having this. I jump over the broken wall after a few, chasing them down. I quickly catch them by throwing my knife at the guy. He fell to the ground and I kicked him hard a few times. 

"I count four." I inform the others. I see Wanda do her magic thing and help Cap up into the building, also taking gas out. 

"Rumlow has a biological weapon." Oh god. I see them enter a truck and ran at it.

"I'm on it." Nat says.

"Same, they're in my sight." I grab my knife I was concealing out of it's hiding space. I see Nat appear with a motorbike. "Where the hell did you get that!" I shout at her.

She uses it to knock down one person and runs at another. I ran at a guy and beat him easily.  I then grab the last one that was trying to escape and hit him hard on the head with the but of my knife and slash his legs. I look at Nat to see her getting dragged by Rumlow. One of the guys come at me and I fight him until the guy is down. I wipe some blood off my arm from where a cut had been. 

I then Rumlow sit at the gun. He shot it at Cap and it started moving. 

"Shit." I mumble as Rumlow keeps firing. I see Cap fly out of the building, landing hard. I see Nat appear and go over to her.

"You good?" She nods. We both start running in the direction of the truck and Rumlow. Nat grabs the motorbike and I hop on.

"I've got four they're splitting up." Sam says.

"I got two on the left."  Nat informs chasing after them while I chase after another.

"I got one." I say jumping over a fruit stall. I have to doge various other stalls and people most of all to keep him in my sight. 

"They ditched their gear. It's a shell game now. One of them has the payload." I keep my eyes focused on my target and jump on top of a car. I throw my knife and it lodges into his back, making him fall to the ground. I run over and check for the weapon.

"My guy doesn't have it." I inform the others.

"I'm also empty." Sam also says. 

"Payload secure. Thanks Sam."  Leave it up to Nat to get it.

"Don't thank me."

"I'm not thanking that thing."

"His name is Redwing."

"I'm still not thanking it."

"He's cute. Go ahead pet him." I laugh at the two idiots I call friends. I suddenly hear a huge explosion and see a building on fire. 

"Oh my god..." 

The Secretary Of State stood in front of us all saying something about golf? or maybe baseball? I haven't been listening from the start but there defiantly something to do with sports. Wait did he just start talking about the Avengers?

"But while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some that prefer the word vigilantes." 

"And what word would use to describe us as, Mr Secretary?" Nat asks professionally. 

"How about dangerous? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals, who routinely ignore sovereign borders, and inflict their will wherever they choose and whom frankly seem unconcerned about what they leave behind." He showed us a clip of the first battle the Avengers fought in. "New York, Washington DC, Sokovia, Lagos."

"Okay, that's enough." Cap stepped in.

"For the past four years you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." He passes a thick book over to Wanda. "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries, it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organisation. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of the United Nations Panel. Only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place.  I feel we've done that."

"Tell me Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now? If I missed placed a couple of thirty megaton nukes you can bet there'd be consequences."

"Banner and Thor aren't nukes." I defended them.

"Aren't they? Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground." I roll my eyes.

"So there are contingencies." Rhodey speaks up.

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords. Talk it over." He starts to leave when Nat speaks.

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?"

"You retire." He then leaves. Soon after the arguing starts  but I blank most of it out. What the hell am I going to choose?

You really want to loose your freedom again? I thought better of you Stiles.

Oh so you choose now to speak to me? 

You need to learn something. You can't force me. I'm unnatural.