Chapter twenty_(20)

••I won't speak,
I'll remain quiet,
Please just leave me alone••

"Excuse me ma, please let me explain. This is all a big misunderstanding and-" I spoke up after the shock wore off and I found my voice, but Mrs Kelechi interrupted me.

"Save your explanation for the principal! Now follow me!" She said curtly and turned on her heels to walk out of the room, fully expecting me to follow her. I get why Ada and Faith despised the woman now!

I rubbed my eyes again and got off my bed, feeling the beginnings of a migraine at my temple as I caught Stephanie's wicked grin before she walked out of the room, following behind Mrs Kelechi. I knew the whole thing was plotted. If I didn't even know before, that evil grin of hers made sure to confirm it.

But I was just too tired to be angry. I was sick and tired of it all. A person could only take so much shit in a lifetime.

I just stared at my feet as I trudged behind Stephanie's clicking heeled boots and Mrs Kelechi's annoying clap clap of those old-people shoes that usually have squared heels underneath. I hadn't brushed, I was wearing nothing but an oversized hoodie with sweatpants and flops, and I was sure class would start in less than fifteen minutes. They were probably half-way through breakfast by now in the dining-hall and my rumbling stomach reminded me that I would definitely miss that breakfast and probably a few classes, all because of something I didn't do.

I sighed heavily and watched the pretty gold bracelet dance around my ankle as I walked. I hated and liked the thing all at once. Liked because, I couldn't deny the fact that it looked really pretty and hated because, the worst thing of all is to be accused of stealing and I was still thinking up an explanation for all this.

"Well get in!" Mrs Kelechi's stern voice cut through the silence and I didn't realize we had stopped walking as I looked up at her. She was standing to the side of the principal's office, Stephanie behind her with a smug smile on her unfortunately beautiful face.

I cleared my throat and knocked twice on the dark-wood door before turning the knob and stepping inside.

"Mayowa?" Mr Martins looked up from his computer and I looked around the expansive office, not wanting to look at his surprised expression. He had every right to be surprised. I mean, it's not everyday the principal see's students in sweatpants and flops walk into his office so early in the morning. "What brings you here at this ho-" the rest of his sentence was drowned out by Stephanie and Mrs Kelechi walking in and I swallowed and took deep breaths, mentally preparing myself for the battle that was about to occur.

"Good morning sir!" Stephanie greeted, too cheerily for someone who just claimed her leg chain was stolen.

"Morning Steph, what brings you all here this early in the morning, Mrs Kelechi?" The principal completely turned away from his computer to face us and I couldn't help but notice the tone of familiarity under-lacing his greeting to Stephanie.

"Well sir, Miss Okoro here came crying to me this morning just before the lights-in bells went off, claiming her leg chain had been missing for a week now, until she found it on her roommate's leg this morning." Mrs Kelechi explained, her voice calm and free of the strictness it held when she was addressing students.

"Is that true Steph?" Mr Martin's frowned and Stephanie's face transformed immediately to showcase deep sadness and regret. Her acting skills would have passed as genuine if I wasn't an expert at reading people and I fought the anger that welled up in me at her audacity.