5. I O U

Rare aches and pains hold my body prisoner. My back feels as if I'm lying on pins and needles. What is this feeling? Out of the blue, a hostile gust sweeps over me. My toes and nose are bitten by the cold. What?

As my eyes peel open, I'm saluted by an open, starry sky and towering trees. How did I get here and how long has the moon been watching over me? Sitting up, my eyes widen realizing I'm surrounded by nothing, but trees and shrubbery. Running my rickety hands down my arm, thorns and twigs are sightlessly extracted from my bruised flesh.

The starry peace in the air frightens me, keeping me still and growing more curious. I fear answers as something lurks behind century old trees. Leaves crumble under my balancing hands and knees. I feel alone, but understand I'm everything but. I don't want to awaken what bumps in the night. I'm a novice on these grounds and an enemy to those scheming until I make my next move. As I stand, I slip, rustling up noise and twisting my wrist.

Alerting the forest of a perpetrator, I flinch at the sounds of owls' screeching. The loud birds verify my fears with their wails. I'm not alone. As the whining goes on, I scammer to my feet confused and not knowing where to run. Aimlessly, my fright finally drives me through the obscure hunting grounds. Shadows come with the pain that I'm running from. My alarmed eyes cut the forest as they search for safety. I didn't feel much hope to begin with, but as my legs fatigue and the sound magnifies, I'm at a loss of faith. I was once held by frigid temperatures. In a flash, Satan's breath governs my path. Panting fuller than I am, something is behind me, its breaths occasionally lifting the heels of my feet. Overhead, I see a little beam of light. A house?

"HELP!" My strides grow sloppy; thrown off at the chance of being saved. "HELP ME!" I run with everything left in me. The Earth begins to shake under my feet, sabotaging my balance as the screeching sound deafens me. I try shouting, but can't hear myself to know if I'm doing so. Without warning, my shoulders are grabbed and I'm swallowed by the shadow.

. . .

"ANGEL! Angel!"

My breaths are heavy as I wake up to Ella's frightened eyes. As I hold my burning cheek, she steps away pulling her right hand behind her back. Relieved, I lay my head on my pillow, panting as I stare at the ceiling.

"What the hell, Angel?" Her question holds more fear than protection.

Under the bright light, I shut my stressed eyes. "I don't know."

"A nightmare?"

"Y-yes." I cover my face as I try calming down. Pulling my hands away, I'm soaked in sweat.

"Get up. You need to jump in the shower." She yanks the covers away from my body. "Did you piss on yourself?" She questions as we grasp the sight of my wet bed.

"I'm sure it's sweat, Ella." I sit up as my damp body makes it troublesome to strip off my shirt.

"Damn." She helps pull it over my head. "I'll change your bedding." She offers as I get up. Grabbing my arm, Ella catches me and sits me back on the bed as I hold my head.

"I'm fine. Just a little dizzy." I squeeze my eyes shut.

Moving my hair away from my face, she asks, "What were you dreaming about?" 

I needed to right my wrongs the following morning. 

When a considerate stranger opens the door to my favorite coffee shop, I'm greeted with an elegant buzz. Still, I've never walked into a place so mousily. I check the head of the line, then, my eyes bounce around the cafe. Nothing. My curiosity drags my eyes behind me. Nothing. As the line moves forward, I wait for my phone to give me the time of day. 7:16 AM. I'm early... for once.

"Welcome to Tim Horton's. How can I help you?"

"May I have your Original Blend and Dark Roast? Larges." After placing my order, I give the cafe another fast examination. Nada.

Following my fulfilled request, I sit with two coffees — one not belonging to me. My hands fold over my coffee's lid as my fingernails tap along it. My orbs continue to roam; this time taking me outside the clean windows. Uncannily, I'm disinterested in the wish-granted, blue, and sunny skies.

When I hear the chime of the door, my eyes slash across the restaurant. It's an elderly couple full of life and laughs. My eyes dart to the line, combing through for a particular customer. Officially beginning my day, I bring my cup to my lips as I study the early morning pedestrians.

It's 7:45 AM the next time I check my phone. My time is up. Your time is up. Wrapping my hand around the Dark Roast, it's still fairly warm. I scan my surroundings once more before heading to work.

Today, the energy in the office is restless. Checking my phone, I slide through my emails wondering if I missed anything. No. People are jumping from their seats and dashing every which way. There's wide eyes and full cheeks everywhere. Scrolling through my call log, I wonder again if I've neglected anything. Nope. Hm... If it doesn't have anything to do with me, so be it. Shrugging at my one less problem, I make my way to my comfy sanctuary. I need to watch this chaos from a higher and out of the way level.

"Good morning, Angel." Eddie greets.

"Hey, Eddie. How are you?"

"I'm losing my mind with all of these projects." He passes me as he blows air past his lips.

"We'll get it done. It'll be fine. Your Best Clothes is already a done deal!" I confirm over my shoulder.

"Thank the heavens!" He does a spin to share a tiptoe victory dance with me.

On my way to my loft, I see a stressed blonde.

"Hey Poppy." I poke my head into her office. Don't worry, her name isn't Poppy. And no offense to anyone named Poppy. Poppy's real name is Phoebe, but apparently, she hates the parent-given name.

"Hello, Angel." She barely looks my way. She seems off, disorganized, and rushed as she digs into her desk drawer. It must be something in the air and I'm immune. "What-" Poppy finally takes my presence into consideration. "Are you going to drink both of those?" She points to the two coffee cups in my hands. Before I can give an answer, she implies, "I was in such a rush and I missed my train. There was no time."

"Do you drink dark roast coffee?" I extend the lukewarm cup.

"I will." She perks up, already lengthening her white-sleeved arm.

"Then, I have great news for you, my friend." I waltz into the yellow office to hand her a full cup. "Would you like me to reheat it?"

"No, this is perfect. I prefer iced coffee."

"Awesome."

"Thank you. You saved my day." She gets up from her seat. "I'm going to add the ice." She moseys out. Although my morning may be damper, I'm glad I could make someone else's. That was my whole intention when I rolled out of bed. "I owe you." She alleges.

"People seem to." I heighten my brows as I take a sip of my usual order.

Please vote ❤️