5.8

•- Laine Bennett -•

The sweet solitude of walking by my lonesome down the humid streets of  Honolulu had given me the serneity and space that I never came to realize I was in need for.

The flaming ocean waves crashing against the beach could be the only sound heard for miles when you were used to the bustling city of New York. Something was sweeter here however. Despite the salt water surrounding you, and the traffic noises too, nothing could beat wandering aimlessly around a foreign city to you. Thus, my interest was at a high and my haunting thoughts of the man who was probably arranging a new flight home, had nearly left me.

But as I walk, I couldn't help but keep my hair lowered to my face in hopes of remaining anonymous to those who kept up with New York news, or news of Austin Wood in general.

There was no doubt in my mind as I step into a small restaurant for a quick lunch, that I was being silently judged by those to attended the establishment.

I never craved the fame that followed Austin Wood. I never craved a headline, or a list of high socialites, all I ever wanted out of this entire situation, was Austin Wood. It was simple, and yet so beyond unobtainable it lead to my stomach to ache with constant hatred for my desire to be his. I felt like a hopeless school girl who even after years of silently pining after a man she couldn't have, finally came the realization that he could never love someone like me. Granted all those cliche stories end in her with him or another, but this wasn't the case. There was no man in a leather jacket to fall back on, no friend I had a longing love for, no man who caused me trauma over the span of a week, I had Austin and myself. It wasn't much, but it was all ever needed.

I let out a huffed sigh as I'm lead to a table by a rather lengthy man who was taking much larger steps than my legs could ever even try to reach.

A menu is placed in front of me and I'm left to decide what dish I could possibly greet my mouth with on this lovely afternoon.

Upon deciding, I was gifted my ordered drink and I take the time to inform my friends of the adventures taking place at this point in time. However, as I am pulling out my phone to interact with others, a person sits across from my with a cheeky smile on his lips.

I raise my eyebrow in question as he grabs a random straw from the container beside us.

"All I ask, is you don't scream or cry because I'm not here to kidnap you. Austin was worried, didn't know if you'd gotten lost or not, so the old bitch sent me. I'm Zaine, nice to meet you Laine Bennett," his hand stretches over the table and I cautiously take it in my own.

"I don't mean to be rude, but how did you find me?" I ask as my hand falls to my side and I eye this black haired man with curiosity.

He seats his hand carelessly as he unwraps a straw before waving over a waiter who is quick to his call.

"Get me the usual, please," he says carelessly, causing the waiter to nod and dismiss himself with ease, "From the location of Austin's house and the accurate description he gave me, I figured your height would carry you roughly around this area if you hadn't taken a public mode of transportation which I understand why you wouldn't, but mathematically I found you here so, what's for lunch?"

I was stunned to say the least. A strange man had made himself known and had so clearly found me with ease. It is mesmerizing that a simple serial killer of New York hasn't made me meet my end yet. Truly, a blessing.

"You didn't have to trace me all the way here. I would have gone back to the house eventually," I scoff under my breath accidentally, causing Zaine to let out a soft laugh.