(72) One Storm hasn't Calmed, before Being Frightened in a Dream

Chu Qing-Yan lay on the couch while Xi Ning fanned her on the side.

"Master, when I heard that today you were attacked by assassins and got hurt outside, this servant's heart almost jumped out." Xi Ning said this while shaking the fan, and her tone even had some lingering fear.

Chu Qing-Yan smiled, lifting a finger to poke her forehead, and said with an annoyed smile. "Let me see it jump out!"

Xi Ning stamped her feet, feeling extremely helpless. "Master!"

Chu Qing-Yan retracted her hand and didn't continue to tease her, her thoughts turned to the matter Huang Yi talked about and she couldn't help but ask. "His Majesty's treatment towards His Highness, has it always been harsh?"

"This..." Xi Ning suddenly hemmed and hawed, her words were somewhat unclear.

Today before Huang Yi, because of her age, she didn't dare ask too much. Now seeing Xi Ning seeming to know something, Chu Qing-Yan immediately looked towards her. "Tell me everything you know."

Xi Ning took a glance at her family's master and thought for a bit, then she felt that she should be frank with her master. As a result, she very quickly flung the lecture from the housekeeper to the back of her head.

"Master, shouldn't be said to be severe, it ought to be——" Xi Ning thought for half a day and finally came up with an appropriate word, "cold."

Cold? Meaning not in the least bit interested? Chu Qing-Yan frowned.

Xi Ning continued, with an overtone of maybe fighting for justice on behalf of Xiao Xu. "I heard those old people in the manor say that His Highness was one that wasn't dotted on by his father nor loved by his mother. Originally, his Majesty had some concern towards His Highness; however, ever since the Fourth Prince was born, he completely dotted on the Fourth Prince. After the fire destroyed His Highness's face, His Majesty became even more indifferent towards His Highness. Moreover, the Empress was only ever concerned with His Highness's studies and very seldom cared about other aspects regarding him...."

In Xi Ning's long-winded words, some elements may be rumors, but since even this little girl knew about it, then it proved that it didn't differ from the truth much.

Chu Qing-Yan stared at the canopy of the bed, the white muslin entering her view and blurring her vision. It seemed the big block of ice lived a harder life than her, because at least she still had parents that loved her dearly.

Should she treat big block of ice a little bit better from now on?

This was the last thought that flashed through her head before she entered slumberland.

When Xiao Xu returned from the palace, Chu Qing-Yan had already fallen asleep.

After hearing Xi Ning's report, he originally should have gone back to his own room to rest. He didn't know why, but his foot turned and he headed towards her room instead.

He was somewhat preoccupied, his mind turned around the words Father Emperor had said to him today. His face was indifferent like the serenity from the deep seas.

When he stepped into her room, he unconsciously lightened his footsteps and only stopped when he reached her bed. He didn't know why, but being by her side, he could find a little bit ease and the feeling of being unrestrained.

Suddenly, he discovered that there was something wrong with that peaceful sleeping face. Many beads of sweat formed on her forehead as her two hands clutched the quilt tightly. Her lips were pale from biting down too hard on her teeth, and there were periodically whispered words. He immediately bent down at the waist just in time to hear her mumbling to herself.