Impulsive

Lacey

I awoke the next day to find Vincent next to me. He must have stayed instead of leaving like the last time. I looked at him, sleeping, with his hair messy and in a relaxed state. Then I felt him move his arm around me as he pulled me close to him.

"Are you done, pouting?" I questioned him as he got up and hovered over me.

"Am I happy that you still haven't agreed to my offer? No, I'm not, but I'm not pouting, and I wasn't pouting yesterday," he informed me.

"You ignored me," I claimed as he looked at me.

"I was giving you space, an enormous difference," he responded.

"I don't see the difference," I told him with a look.

"Lacey, I don't ignore people whom I care about in my life. Did something upset me with them or you? Yes, it did, but I also know how vital it is to discuss things," he spoke. He leaned his head down and kissed me before moving next to me as he laid down.

I sat up and looked at him. He looked exhausted.

"Did you get any sleep last night?" I questioned him.

"I didn't feel tired, so I read," he replied as I looked at him. Something seemed suspicious about that. I have never seen Vincent stay up late and read. He engaged in other sorts of activities. I didn't press him any further about it. We have one week left before I have to decide if I wanted to take his offer or not.

"About yesterday," I said as he looked at me, "it's not that I don't appreciate the fact you went out and bought a house. I want to make sure this is the right decision for both of us. When we started this, it was only a contract. When the contract ends, nothing is binding us together. What if I agreed, then one day it all came to an abrupt end? For three years, I endured someone calling the shots over my life. I don't want to endure that anymore," I explained to him.

He sat up and looked at me. "I have been a little hasty with the house."

"A little? You went out and bought a five-bedroom house in a cul-de-sac," I said with a look. He chuckled.

"It's an impulse buy," he shrugged.

"One minute it's a house, the next it's some hotel," I commented.

"I bought several hotels recently," he mentioned. He got out of bed.

"Wait. What? What do you mean you bought several hotels? Vincent?" I yelled as I scrambled out of bed, running after him.

We both came downstairs. "It's no enormous deal. Hotels are a good return on investment."

"And you'll buy an airline next," I remarked as he stopped with his back to me. My expression contorted in shock. "You bought an airline!"

He turned around and, with a look, replied, "That was a surprise for your birthday, which is coming up." I looked at him, stunned. "You enjoy ruining surprises."

I gave him a look and shook my head. He walked over to me.

"Lacey, I enjoy doing these things for you. I want to do these things for you," he told me.

"Vincent, when I said to prove it, I didn't mean to buy me an airline. What would I do with an airline?" I asked him.

"We could fly to London or Paris," he suggested to me as he wrapped his arms around me.

I gave him a look. "You're serious?"

"I want to show you the world," he answered as I looked at him.

I placed my hands on his face. "That's the thing; I don't need grandiose gestures. Simple things are as nice and mean more like going for ice cream here, in the States, which requires no flying."

"Huh, simple, I've never done that. I'm so used to doing more over the top," Vincent mentioned as I smiled at him. I leaned in and kissed him as he pulled back. "I like it simple." He leaned in and kissed me again.

The thing Vincent is missing is the point. He missed why I hesitated about the house, the airline, and all the other extravagant items. I have never done simple things like going to dinner and a movie, going for ice cream, or walking hand in hand with someone. I know it sounded ridiculous, but I didn't splurge with money. I have money held hostage at the moment.

What I wanted is to spend time with someone. I'm okay with the beach house because it's simple. We weren't the businessman and escort, but Vincent and Lacey.

Vincent

It took me a moment, but I understood what Lacey wanted. I'm usually good at reading people, but she's different. Money didn't impress her. Since I froze her assets, she didn't have a choice but to concede to me. Even when she went to the store, it wasn't to buy anything extravagant; it was to pick up necessities. I know I received the bill.

She had more fun at a carnival and swimming in the lake than dressing up in a fancy outfit and going to dinner. When I took her to that concert, she was more relaxed. It was the simple things she craved. That what differed her from other women I knew. She varied from Victoria.

I have a week to give her simple and persuade her to take my offer. If simple is what she wants, simple would be what she receives until she agrees, then I would give her a key to the house. Yeah, she wasn't getting out of forgoing a house; I didn't care how much she protested about it.

Knock! Knock!

I pulled back as we looked at each other.

"If we're quiet, they'll go away," I whispered.

Knock! Knock!

"Or not," I sighed as she giggled. I released her and walked over to the door, answering it to Cruz. He walked in and looked at both of us.

"At least I didn't catch you both naked, which is disturbing," he commented as he raised a finger. I gave him an annoyed look.

"Is there a reason you're here on a Sunday?" I questioned him as he looked at me.

"There's a problem at your office," he mentioned as I looked at him. Anytime Cruz came to see me on the weekend, it's usually never good. "Call Joe to stay with Lacey. I'll be ready in five minutes," I ordered him as I went upstairs.

Cruz called Joe as I dressed. To hear a problem existed didn't sit well with me. It infuriated me since it infringed on my time with Lacey. I was adamant about not getting disturbed while I'm away.

We waited until Joe arrived, then left the beach house. Cruz handed me a file before pulling away. I opened it and looked through the Financials. Someone has been skimming money. It wasn't enough for most people to notice, but it was enough for me to see it missing.

As I looked through the report, I became angrier with each look. The name associated with them; I knew all too well. The person would pay for their indiscretion.

Cruz pulled into the parking garage and parked the car. We exited the car and walked towards the elevators as we stepped onto them. We took it to the floor of my office. When the doors opened, I stepped off and walked towards my office. They better pray they left, but I doubt it. When we reached my office, I caught them red-handed.

"Vincent," the person said as I looked at them with rage.

"Cruz, I want you to close the door. It won't take long," I ordered him as he nodded. It wouldn't take long at all.