XVII - Certitude

XVII - Certitude

Certitude
cer·ti·tude
\ˈsər-tə-ˌtüd also -ˌtyüd\
noun
: the state of being or feeling certain : freedom from doubt : assurance

🍁

By the time they got off the ride, Noah had never felt more peace in his life. The man who operated the ferris wheel waved at them both. He never noticed him earlier, he was to be honest, too anxious about riding the giant.

Via and Neo waited for them, still bickering and fighting over the most trivial things.

"I would never date someone like you." Came Via's confident statement when the topic of dating came up. Neo started it by smugly asking, "If I was the last man on earth, would you date me?"

"Why? What's wrong with someone like me?" Neo's voice was full of confusion. He did not understand what was wrong with him.

"Let's see." She paused for a while as if she was thinking hard. "You're a playboy. Your hair is longer than mine, your eyebrows are sleeker than mine, you're too rich for me, too smart, too arrogant, too handsome, too---"

"Are you listing my deficiencies or my assets? Because the last time I checked, being too handsome is certainly not a deficiency."

Via rolled her eyes. But she can't help but agree, the guy is too handsome for his own good. She can't really blame him for being too cocky. She didn't have a time to reply because she heard someone giggle.

"Alright you two. Cut it out." These days, it seems like Jess had become their parent. She had become their mediator when things would go bad. She was grateful for that, otherwise who'd know? Maybe someone with certain hypnotizing dark eyes with shoulder length hair would be six feet underground by now. And she'd be on newspapers labeled murderer.

"Did you enjoy the ride?" Neo asked knowingly. Noah gave him a grateful nod. Grateful they had done this for him.

"Yes." Jess answered for the both of them. She squeezed Noah's hand. They'd been holding hands since they got down the ride. "Thank you for telling me about this." It was Neo's idea to make Noah ride the ferris wheel. She didn't know before but now that she did, she was grateful.

"You're welcome princess."

"Don't call her that." Noah chimed in but was ignored by a competitive Via.

"You know I was part of the plan too." She said, jokingly looking for Jess' assurance that she indeed helped her. Jess had thanked her even before she helped.

"They know. They just don't feel like thanking you. You looked like you'd ruin a plan rather than actually do it." This earned him three painful smacks in the head. "Damn woman. I was just kidding. You hit harder than those damned gangsters."

If looks could kill, Neo would be dead by now. Noah gave him the look in which he immediately understood. He could only hope Jess nor Via hadn't heard it.

"What gangsters?" Too fucking late. His eyes hardened on Neo.

He cleared his throat. "Nothing princess. I was just fooling around. You know, typical me." He gave off an awkward laugh. Via was suspicious while Jess believed him. For this, just this once, he was thankful for her naivety.

"Why don't we head home now? It's getting pretty late." Noah hoped they'd let the matter go.

"You're right. We should head home." Jess agreed. He let out a breath of relief mentally. He looked at Neo and told him using his stare that they're not done yet, Neo could only nod.

"Let's go love." He nudged her to his motorbike.

"Okay." She smiled at him then turned to face the two. "Today was great thanks to you both."