Chapter 6

Being one with the background had always been my motto. This is why every hair on my body jumped up in alert the moment I had left Effie's tent in the morning. I could feel countless eyes crawling across my skin, watching my every move. No matter how many times I whirled around, however, I could never catch anyone staring at me.

While I was preoccupied with the shuddering sensation, I also did my best to avoid running into a certain Alpha or any of his human friends. The last thing I needed was another dose of crazy from him or a round of insults from his friends.

Because this was already my fourth day inside the camp, I was sure I would be able to leave in a day or two. The only thing I needed to do, was find out where exactly we were and how I could get back home.

I couldn't wait to see my family again. To hold them all close and assure them I was alive. And maybe once I was behind a locked door, I would call the cops. It was the most reasonable reaction, especially if it could help to warn other women and make sure something like this never happened again.

I knew I couldn't tell them too much because I still didn't know why I had been kidnapped in the first place. The only thing I could give them was a detailed description of the building we had been imprisoned in and maybe even its location.

After breakfast, I couldn't take the stares anymore, so I slipped back inside Effie's tent. I was probably being paranoid, especially because there was no reason why everyone would be interested in me.

I lasted for half an hour inside the tent before I couldn't take the dull linen any longer. Since Effie's tent was bordering on the edge of the forest, I snuck out through the back. Without anyone noticing, I slipped down to the stream from yesterday.

The moment I left the camp, I felt an invisible weight slump off my shoulders. Despite not having caught anyone staring at me, I wasn't stupid enough to dismiss the creepy sensation. I trusted my gut enough to know there was definitely something shifty in the air.

Down by the stream I washed my face and hands. I couldn't take another bath because I didn't have any clean clothes and I didn't want anyone to accidentally walk in on me bathing. Especially a certain blue-eyed crazy guy.

I couldn't understand why I felt so drawn to him. Not that I was denying his swooning good-looks, but I had never been one to focus on appearance. Normally I liked to find out more about the guy before I formed my opinion.

With Alpha, however, I couldn't get him out of my mind. No matter how many times I told myself that he was either playing a game with me or he was actually a few straws short.

Once I finished washing, I decided to take a detour. I didn't feel like going back to the camp, so I opted for a short walk through the surrounding forest. Maybe I would even run across something useful that would tell me where I was.

The forest beyond the stream was the same as the forest around the camp. Yet it still felt more peaceful here. No prying eyes to watch my every step.

I didn't know how long I walked for when I caught a movement on my right. Curious to what animal I had managed to run across, I stopped and turned my head to the side.

My heart stopped.

Not even twenty feet away from me stood a giant wolf. I may not know much about wolves, but even I knew that this one was bigger than an ordinary wolf.

The deadly creature stopped in its path, just like I had. Its fur was a dark brown, the same shade as the tree trunks surrounding us. What had sweat pouring out of my armpits, however, were Its midnight black eyes.

Eyes that were focused straight at me.

The animal wasn't baring its teeth or doing anything threatening. It just stood there, looking at me. For me, however, it didn't make a difference.