Chapter 8

The weeks pass like hours. Everything he does, sparks something in me. The sex is only a perk of our relationship. Even though we fight over the smallest things, I cherish the fights.

On this night, he holds me closer than usual. I don't notice it, until the next morning. When I awaken, I find a letter on the nightstand. Malfoy is nowhere in sight.

When I pick the letter up, I immediately understand that it's from his journal. His neat handwriting reads:

Dear H. Potter,

By the time you read this letter, I will not be the same person you remember from our time together.

Yesterday morning, will you slept, my mother came to me. She explained that I will not have another morning with you. For a moment, I considered telling you, but I decided I'd have one more good day with you.

I was wrong, however.

I tried my hardest to not feel great loss, knowing that I would have to leave you. None the less, my mind was overwhelmed by my heart, and I couldn't find it in me to loosen my grip upon you.

I have spoiled you. Over the past two months, I've seen you as a way out of this war.

I was wrong, yet again.

Our time together has taught me that I need to fight it. On which side, I not yet know. That depends on what happens later on this next month.

I can not promise you that I will do the right thing. In fact, I can promise you that I will not. I can't. I'm not strong enough to do the right thing.

I'm sorry.

~Draco Malfoy

I sit up in bed and let out a shakey breath. He's gone. He's just left me. And I never got the chance to tell him. I love him.

~

Ginny steps closer to me in her stupid pink bathrobe. If Malfoy was jealous of her, I'll give him a reason to be jealous.

~

As Ron, Hermione, and I ruffle through the ashes of Olivander's burnt out wand shop, Ron spots Malfoy.

The next thing I know, my stoker arse is laying on a rooftop to stare at him. When he steps up to a wardrobe, I frown. What could he possibly want with that?

~

When I lay on the railing above Draco's seat, he doesn't speak a word for the whole ride to Hogwarts.

"Aren't you coming, Draco?" Pansy asks as she stands from her seat.

"Go ahead." Malfoy insists, before glancing up at me "I need to check something out." Shit! He's going to find me!

Once everyone is off, he grabs his bag and starts towards the door, only to shut the blinds "Didn't you're mummy ever tell you it's rude to easedrop, Pottah?" he asks, before hissing "Protrificus totalus!"

Every muscle in my body freezes and I drop. He casts the clock off of me and sneers a familiar sneer "That's right! She was dead before you could wipe the drool from your chin!"

He kicks in my nose, but he's almost gentle about it, like he didn't want to cause any real harm. Like it was for show.

As he tosses the clock back over me, he growls "Enjoy your ride back to London!" That's it! He's trying to protect me by getting me awake from Hogwarts! But why?

~

I hurt him. I hurt him really bad. I didn't know what I was doing, and I feel so awful about hurting him.

For the way he made me feel for the past year, I almost liked the way it felt, hurting him. I hate myself for it.

Madam Pomfrey says he'll be alright, but I feel like shit. Naturally, I needed comfort. Idiotically, I turned to Ginny.

~

I know now that Malfoy is innocent. He couldn't kill Dumbledore. He knows what's right and what's wrong.

But as he kneels in front of me, all I can think about is, will he protect me like he did before? Will his father affect his decision?

He looks me in the eyes and I know that he knows. His eyes focus on the part of my face that isn't swollen as he asks "What happened to his face?"

The others whisper between one another, as Draco stares at me in mixed emotions. Finally, he insists "I can't be sure."

I give a worshiping look and he backs away.

It's not until later, when I try to disarm him. He gives me his wand.

~

"Why didn't you tell her?" I ask as he and his goons battle me "Bellatrix." His face goes flat and I declare "You knew it was me."

As we fly around the flames his arms grip around my waist as we fly towards the door of the room of requirement.

He's practically hysterical as he screams "You saved me! Why would you save me? You're a bloody seeker!"

As soon as we fall to the ground, he's gone.

~

As my parents disappear, I place the snitch into my pocket to find his letter. Silently, I pull it out and read "I tried my hardest to not feel great loss, knowing that I would have to leave you."

I take in a long breath, before placing the letter back and stepping towards the meeting spot.

~

As I spring to life in the courtyard of Hogwarts, Draco Malfoy screams out in "Pottah!" As if I gave him the courage to do the right thing.

~

Seeing Malfoy at the train station, after all these years, it hurt. He has a beautiful wife and a beautiful child.

James and Sirius are going to Hogwarts, but we still have Lily for eight more years.

When the boys are gone, Lily and Ginny walk off with Ron and Hermione and I see Malfoy and his wife fighting about something.

Finally, she walks off and he shakes his head, before turning around and staring at me. After a long moment, he steps forward and sighs "So, you and Ginny? Is it serious?" he jokes.

I nod towards the direction his wife left "Is everything alright with the misses?" I ask, playfully.

He bites his lip, before sighing "She's dying." I give a concerned look and he shrugs "We tried so hard to have a child, and she got sick." He shakes his head "She won't make it to his third year."

I give a short nod, before sighing "My tube is always open." he gives a short nod, before looking to Ginny.

"I should get back to Astoria." he sighs, before shaking his head "She shouldn't be standing up for too long."