Chapter One

Chapter One 

Juniper's POV

"Come on Juniper, you've only completed one lap."   

I gasped repeatedly, as I stopped running and bent down, watching beads of sweat drip down from my forehead to the concrete ground. "You have no idea what it's like for me, okay?" I said between wheezes, "I haven't had a vegetable in like," I paused, to think, "I can't even remember, actually."

Me and my best friend, and roommate Roxanne have decided to get healthy together, by running laps around the university campus every morning before class. It was probably the worst decision I have ever agreed to.

Both of us wanted to look good for the Trinity University Halloween party that was only a month away. We planned to dress as ghouls, with a sexy twist, but there was no sexy to it if I didn't lose at least another ten pounds.

Roxanne on the other hand was already incredibly fit and had a body as flawless as you can get. Her abs showed through her very tight T-shirt, and I began to wonder if she only agreed to workout with me so I wouldn't look like such a cow when I stood next to her in public.

Roxanne walked over to me and sighed, "You're really sad. Like, I feel sorry for you. You really need to exercise more."

"Thanks."

"No problem."

We both began walking while I attempted to catch my breath. The sun was only just beginning to appear in the sky, but all I saw were the hours of sleep I lost to healthy choices.

"Look at that guy." Roxanne pointed to a guy running up ahead of us. "He has passed us at least four times since we've been out here, and we've only barely been around once."

Somehow, that just made me feel worse. "Yeah but look at him, he's thin, he looks healthy, he probably does this every morning and then returns to his dorm to drink a raw egg smoothie."

Her face scrunched up in disgust, "Raw egg smoothie?"

"Yeah, isn't that what fit people drink?"

She rolled her eyes, "Wow you are sad."

I kept my eyes on the guy, he was going incredibly fast, and I found myself wanting to prove to him that I could run fast too. He was probably laughing at me for how out of shape I am, and the thought of him, or anyone laughing at me was annoying.

"Come on." I urged Roxanne, "Let's run."

She raised her eyebrows at me, "Uhh, yeah girl okay."

I ran, my legs on fire as I attempted to move as quickly as the man in front of us. Roxanne seemed to have no trouble keeping up with me, in fact she was barely even winded, which made me proud at how strong my friend was, but also incredibly irritated that my friend was strong.

Jealousy happens to be my default state.

"Don't tell me." Roxanne said, without a gasp of air needed. I shrugged off my annoyance. "You're jealous that he's better than you."

"Shut up I'm not jealous." I said, struggling to keep my breathing steady.

"Mhmm, you are jealous."

"Shut up!"

"Juniper just can't stand it when someone outshines her."

"Keep talking and I'll trip you." I tried to run past her, but it was no use, no matter how hard I tried, I was still an unfit, unhealthy, slow-running, loser.

Roxanne took my jealousy as way to bait me, "I bet he's laughing at you." She sang obnoxiously, "I bet he thinks you're lazy."

I knew she was only saying that to motivate me, to keep going, and despite knowing that, it still worked. "I'm not lazy!"