thirty-six

Neeki and Credence were in Austria, Nurmengard in a castle

Neeki and Credence were in Austria, Nurmengard in a castle. Credence was staring out at the window, scared of what he did but awed by the magnificent vista. They were high on the mountain. Grindelwald and Queenie were watching through the open peak of the door.

Neeki and Credence were warily glancing at each other from the corners of their eyes.

"Are they frightened of me still?" he whispered.

"You need to be careful... He's not sure he made the right choice. Be very gentle with him. Neeki is...sad and confused. She misses Newt," Queenie whispered.

Queenie smiled as he bowed her way out through a separate door. Once Grindelwald knew she was gone, he walked into the drawing room to join the two.

"I have a gift for you, my boy."

From behind his back, he took out a handsome wand. With a bow, he showed Credence. Credence couldn't believe it.

"You have suffered the most heinous of betrayals, most purposely bestowed upon you by your own blood. Your own flesh and blood. And just as he has celebrated your torment, your brother seeks to destroy you," Grindelwald said as he handed him a chick.

Credence inhaled sharply. His chick stepped gingerly onto Grindelwald's palm. He threw it the air, where it caught on fire.

"There is a legend in your family that a phoenix will come to any member who is in dire need."

The bird stretched its wings and became full size. The phoenix was reborn.

"It is your birthright, my boy. As is the name I now restore to you. Aurelius Dumbledore. I, too, have a gift for you," Grindelwald said as he turned to Neeki. "It has been a long awaited journey for you. All you've ever wanted was a life. I can gift you that. Come, child."

She slowly walked to him. He pressed his palm against her forehead and closed his eyes.

"You may be nauseous, but I assure your safety and happiness. With a simple word, I grant you your memories back."

Neeki's eyes fluttered shut as her knees felt heavy. She suddenly dropped to the floor, but Aurelius caught her.

"She will be asleep for a long time," Grindelwald informed. "You two have this wing of the castle to yourselves. Use your time wisely, Aurelius. I will be sending Queenie up later for your dinner."

Aurelius nodded.

Grindelwald turned around and started walking to the door before he turned back around. "I seem to have forgotten to give Neeki something. Will you be a dear boy and give it to her when she awakens?" He placed a baby Niffler in Aurelius's hand. "I'm sure she'll recognize who it belongs to."