three.

CHAPTER THREE,
empire of lies

   INSOMNIA HAD ALWAYS been a companion of Samantha Walsh

INSOMNIA HAD ALWAYS been a companion of Samantha Walsh. It haunted her nights, fatigued her even as a little girl, and even when she did get some sleep, she suffered from realistic nightmares. Most of the time she would forget those horrid images, but the feeling of dread remained.

From her spot outside of her tent, the sun was slowly coming up, the morning breeze making her cross her arms in her jacket. Her mind was thinking, always thinking of new possibilities, new sources of disaster, and a new sense of danger.

Something warm wrapped around her figure and she jolted, her eyes darting around in alert. Her nerves were put to rest when she realized it was just Shane covering her up with a blanket. "You alright?" He asked, concern in his eyes.

"I couldn't sleep." She murmured, resting her head on his shoulder. She felt so tired within her soul, but her mind wouldn't let her rest.

Samantha felt Shane heave a sigh. "I know how that feels," He admitted. "I forgotten what it's like to have a normal sleepin' pattern."

She looked up at him, taking notes of the dark circles under his eyes, worried lines permanently plastered across his forehead. He always appeared to be a soldier in front of the campers, but even the strongest soldier had their weak points. She's seen it, she saw the real him, the real Shane Walsh.

He was like a book, his pages and lines and deeper meanings she have memorized and copied to the back of her hand - and hers to him.

Her eyes trailed to his 22 necklace, and they rolled. "You sleep with that on too?"

Shane grinned. "I think it looks mighty fine on me, don't ya think?" He touched the silver chain.

Samantha scoffed. "It's just as stupid as you." Yet she had to give him credit for his dedication to that number. His birthday on the 22nd; his football number 22. She didn't blame him for believing that it was his lucky number.

"Well, when I die I'm passing it to you."

She lifted her head up to look at him, his sentence not sitting right in her stomach. "Don't say that."

"Damn, it hurts that you hate it so much-"

"Not the stupid necklace, dumbass," She interrupted, bringing her bottom lip in between her teeth. "Don't talk about you dying, that's the last thing I wanna hear."