Chapter 30

Dedicated to the absolute queen @Simply_Hiraeth. They're an awesome writer -- I literally ditched a bestseller for their book. Their skill is truly inspiring! And an awesome reader, so encouraging and kind! Thank you so much!! I can't express how much it means to me.

The last weeks had been rough.

Alessandro looked out of the high window, over the messy array of rooftops behind the villas wall. He yawned. It was way too early for anything. The sun had barely climbed up behind the soft hills at the horizon, glinting in the river winding past the villa and through the city, countless bridges spanning over it.

Florence.

It had been three weeks.

...

They had been in a silent room, a corpse among them. Giacinto had commanded they pack, they were leaving, now.

"Where?" Alessandro had asked.

"My beloved city of chaos and money. And backstabbing."

"Rome?" Alessandro hadn't felt anything. He had gone numb, as if a part of him had died with Piero when Giacinto's dagger pierced his skull without hesitation.

"No. I'm not that mad." Giacinto had laughed. It had sounded so wrong. "Florence." Then he was gone, the body with him. Alessandro had never asked what he had done with it. He didn't want to know. He didn't want to know Giacinto.

Laelia had stared at him with wide eyes. Her hands had been shaking so badly she kept dropping the little leather bags strewn all around the room when she had searched for a cure. When she had pretended to look for a cure. Alessandro couldn't look at her when he silently helped her place them back in her bag.

...

Alessandro, tugged his wide shirt into the riding pants. He yawned again, dragging a hand through his hair. Why was he even doing this?

...

They had only needed four days to reach Florence. Laelia had tried to hide it, but she more wobbled than walked after a long day on the horse, fast asleep the second her head touched the ground. Even Alessandro had felt his legs protest against every movement. Giacinto had them sleep somewhere in the woods or grasslands -- "It's harder to find us that way." No matter which way Alessandro had turned, a twig or a stone or root had always dug into his skin.

...

Alessandro grabbed his sword from his bed, hooking it to his belt. He let his gaze wander through the room. Golden morning light streamed through the windows, drawing bright squares onto the marble floor. A huge bed dominated the room, long red curtains drawn aside, covers pushed off when Alessandro had grudgingly swung his legs out of the warm comfort of the blanket. The remains of a fire smoldered in the huge fireplace. Giacinto was not a terrible host.

...

Giacinto had them stay in his villa in Florence. Both Laelia's and Alessandro's family had estates of their own, but Giacinto had waved it off. "That's where they'll look first, idiot." This villa was a gift from Carlo, an estate of the General's mother's family, thus they wouldn't connect the name with Giacinto. Alessandro had wanted to inquire about his and the General's relationship again, but the last three days they had not talked at all. Giacinto had of course shot his quips at Alessandro like before, but he refused to answer. After a while, the Greek had turnt silent, too.