Chapter 15

I spent the next two hours practicing the skills that Tommy Joy had laid out in his journal

I spent the next two hours practicing the skills that Tommy Joy had laid out in his journal. Visualization seemed to be the key to understanding and controlling my abilities.

The ley lines seemed to be what fueled my power but it was my own mind that was needed in order to direct the energy. Like Tommy Joy, I adopted the blueprint visualization to help me. I chose whether or not to unravel it; I chose to go right or left, up or down in a person's mind.

I practiced on Lucas for a full hour and, after discovering how smart he truly was, found myself feeling totally in control. I left the Joy boys' house feeling elated. I rode my high all the way to work.

Even Tilly noticed my cheerful mood.

"What's got you all smiley?" she asked as I reorganized the liquor shelves.

Part of me wanted to tell her that I could now go up to anybody in the club and hug them without fear of seeing how they'd die or their darkest secrets. The larger, more sensible, part of me didn't want Tilly to run away from me in fear.

"Just in a good mood, I guess."

I continued organizing but felt her suspicious gaze on my back.

"Anything to do with a Joy boy?"

At that, I whirled around and narrowed my eyebrows at her. What could she possibly know? She was human.

Wasn't she?

"No! I'm just...having a good day," I told her.

She looked unconvinced but couldn't respond because she was interrupted.

"Well, it's about to get better."

Tilly and I both turned and faced the handsome, green-eyed boy.

"Welcome back, Gray."

His red lips curved at the corners and pulled up in a confident smirk. His face was all sharp lines and angular planes with high cheekbones and long lashes. Like always, the green lights of the club caught his seafoam eyes giving them a mischievous glint.

Had I been of lesser will-power I would've been a little puddle in front of him every time he smiled.

"Good to see you, Eloise."

Tilly sighed and turned away from us, knowing the type of conversation that was about to ensue. I was beginning to realize that Gray was very good at talking. And I might've liked to listen to him talk.

"It's Lou," I reminded him and slid him the same beer he'd ordered last time.

Unlike a lot of the other customers in the bar, Gray was actually legally allowed to drink. I may or may not have taken a long time to look at his ID out of curiosity. He was freshly 21 and a great deal taller than me and Tilly.