Chapter 5 - Missing

"The soil is bad."

"What do you mean? Soil is soil."

"No, Y/N, look. The soil here is damaged and can't produce anything. It needs to rest. It needs to heal."

"We don't have that option. If we don't try and plant now, there will be nothing for the harvest, and our family will starve this winter."

"I wouldn't let you starve. You know that."

"And what if your farms can't produce enough, Namjoon? What if there's only enough for your family?"

"Idiot. I just said I wouldn't let you starve. When I make you a promise, believe it."

You dug the soil out of your nails as you followed Hoseok. The soil here was rich and dark. Nothing like your farmland.

Maybe if our soil had been like this, Mother would still be here. 

You missed her. You missed her so much that it hurt. Even though you rarely saw her during the day, it felt so warm when she came home at night. Her dirtied hands from the fields, her soiled clothes, and her bright smile. Even after your father left, she was like that. 

You missed that smile.  

And worse... you missed him. Seeing him again... dozens of memories you had shoved down to your gut were now bubbling up, no matter how hard you tried to stop them. 

Those days in the farmlands, back when you trusted him. Back when he made all those stupid promises. 

No, the promises weren't stupid. I was. 

"What are you thinking about?" Hoseok asked, interrupting your thoughts.

"How much I don't trust you," you replied. "Also, where are you taking me?"

"I'm taking you someplace beautiful," he replied. He turned back to face you, walking backwards. "And for the record, sweetheart, I don't trust you much either."

The forest opened up to a wide field, the scent of lavender and grass hitting your nose. Your heart sank at the smell, bringing up even more old memories you were tired of. But the sun glistening on the lake was enough to distract you from your annoyance, the gentle ripples from the water bugs on the surface calming your spirit.

"What is this place?" you asked.

"I knew you'd like it. It's a special place of mine."

"You have a lot of special places."

He lifted an eyebrow and smiled.

"Can you swim?" he asked as you both walked along the edge of a lake.

"Of course," you replied. "I was raised around the --"

He shoved you in the lake. The cold water smacked you in the face, consuming your clothes and hair. You broke to the surface, sputtering.

"What the hell!" you yelled.

"Just checking," Hoseok replied, shrugging. "Come on out."

You pulled yourself out, the weight of your clothes pulling down against you. The summer breeze suddenly felt colder than it had moments ago.

"I don't have any spare clothes, you know," you growled, wringing the water out of your robes.

"I know," he replied. "You can strip if you want."

"Drop dead,"

He chuckled. "You're ready for your resistance training now. Come with me."

He took you past the lake to a cleared area, surrounded by trees.