Chapter Three: The schemer and the target

Bam!

Cold liquid seeped through my clothes and I stood there flabbergasted.

In front of me was a boy, about the same age as I, with silky orange hair and purple eyes. He had in his hand an empty glass of what was supposed to be cranberry juice. 

"Ah~"/"Oh~"

We both spoke at the same time. There was an awkward silence.

I decided to break it. "A pleasant day," I looked at him  and tilted my head as if asking for his name. Although in truth, I already knew what his name was because of the otome game but it would be weird for me to say it because he was not introduced to me before in this life.

"Jamie," he said. "My name is Jamie."

He bowed his head and that was when he realized about his fault. "Oh no! Your dress is stained!"

I almost forgot if he did not mention it. Then I remembered the game's plot. Marcella was supposed to be engaged when she was five to Jamie Wellings, the son of the Prime Minister. Oh crap.

"Ah, if that's what you are worrying about, don't worry about it," I quickly told him as he seemed so worried about my gown. "I could just have it washed."

"But I'm afraid it would trouble you a lot!" He frowned. "Please let me do something in compensation."

Um, no. Please don't give me with any compensation as I am terribly sure that it would end up just like the game. Leave me alone.

"Do not worry yourself, Jamie-sama. I do not want to trouble you either with something so trivial," I flashed a smile at him just to assure him that it was after all, fine. And yes. It was really fine. People make mistakes. A stained dress shouldn't be of any worry.

"Still, I have to-" He spoke but was caught midsentence when someone called his name.

"Jamie! There you are," a man aged like my father said. "I have been looking everywhere for you. You have not greeted the birthday celebrant ye-"

He cut off his sentence when his purple eyes landed on me who was staring at him.

"Good day, my Lord," I did my best curtsy. This is what I have been badly training for in my etiquette class.

"Well if it isn't Lady Marcella! Good day to you too, little lady," he greeted back and his eyes dawned on the stain on my dress. "Ah, what could have happened to your gown?" He looked at the glass in Jamie's hand and put two and two together.

"Goodness! Jamie, did you do something to Lady Marcella?" He sternly asked.

Jamie frowned even more. "Ah, that I did not really-"

"It's okay, really," I decided to intervene. The man looked back at me again. "It was just an accident. Furthermore, I could always have it cleaned up. No need to be so hard on Jamie-sama."

I smiled. Please just let this incident go.

"However, I still believe that we should do something to compensate!" The man said.

"But-"

This time, I was cut off by my father who spoke behind me.

"Well, well. If it isn't Prime Minister Lucas Wellings. Fancy meeting you here with my daughter," my father greeted. He flashed a smile at both the father and son duo in front of us before looking at me. "Is there a problem, Marcella?"

I shook my head. "Ah, none that really matters, father."

Prime Minister Wellings blurted out. "My son has made an awful mistake! He spilled beverage on the little miss' gown."