Part 15

Condo smiled softly, and pointed at the other paladins. "You can take them away. Emperor Zarkon will be more than pleased with four perfectly healthy paladins, and one, well, less healthy."

Shiro struggled furiously and managed to throw off one of his attackers, but the other hit him hard on the head with the side of his blade, and he slumped down onto the ground. He, Pidge and Hunk were dragged off, into the hallway they'd just come through. Keith looked at them leaving, and for the first time, he looked genuinely scared. His face was paler than usual, his eyes showed a lot of white.

Condo waited for the doors to slam shut, and then grabbed Lance by the back of his armor, and dragged him to where Keith was kneeling, held down by two guards. He dropped Lance unceremoniously at his feet.

"So, do you feel comfortable telling us a little something about the Blades already? Or do we need to hurt your boyfriend?"

Keith couldn't hide the fury he felt. "He's not my boyfriend," he said, but regretted it immediately.

The commander smiled. "Oh, so it's one-sided? You have a little crush?" he teased Keith. Keith said nothing. He tried to catch Lance's eye, to somehow apologise, but Lance stayed slumped on the floor.

Keith looked up again, into Condo's eyes. "I'm not telling you anything, no matter what you do," he sneered. He wasn't sure he could keep that promise. He couldn't tell him, but if he hurt Lance...

"Let's start at the top," Condo continued. "The guy who runs the entire organisation. His name is Kolivan, right?" He watched Keith's face carefully for any sign of weakness. "What do you know about him?"

Keith held his lips pressed together tightly. He saw Lance, slightly bruised, but ready for a fight should the moment arrive. But how could he lure Condo away? The commander was almost twice Lance's size, and looked like a formidable opponent. Keith might be able to fight him, but he was being held down by two others.

Condo rolled Lance onto his back, and set his foot on Lance's chest. "I despise asking twice. Tell me about your leader, now!"

He pressed down softly. Lance hit the armoured leg with everything he had in him, but Condo barely even felt it. Keith's face contorted. He could see Lance turning a little red, his breathing quick.

"Stop." Keith said softly, and the pressure vanished instantly. Condo looked at him, waiting, expecting an answer to his question. Keith breathed in deeply.

"If you want to hurt someone, hurt me. But let him go."

Lance's face turned back to it's normal colour.

"I don't think you really understand how this works. If I torture you, I won't get anything. But if I hurt the one you love...

Look, if you want me to let him go, all you have to do is tell me some things."

But Keith couldn't. No matter how much he loved Lance, the fate of the world rested on him not saying anything.

Lance agreed. "Keith, don't tell him anything. I can take it." He smiled sadly at him, making eyecontact for the first time since Keith had confessed.

"How endearing,"Condo said, a fake smile on his face. "I wonder whether he'll feel the same when I've shown him what real pain feels like." He kicked Lance hard in his gut.

"No!" Keith screamed, as Lance groaned in pain, his hands clenched over his abdomen.

"I'll kill you for this!" Keith screamed, his voice desperate. "I'll kill you for ever hurting him."

Condo stepped away from Lance, looking at him like he was some pathetic animal which needed to be put down.

"Okay, so you don't want to talk about Kolivan. What about the locations of the Blades' hideouts? You must have some idea where they are."

Keith kept his mouth shut and shook his head. He felt sick, nauseous to his bones. The sight of Lance, laying crumpled on the floor felt like a dagger through his heart.

Lance knew Keith wasnt going to tell Condo anything. Keith was a trained spy, and he was always focused on the mission, no matter the casualties. Lance's stomach ached, but it was nothing compared to the seering pain in his shoulder.

Lance's mind flickered to a possibility that Keith would tell Condo something. What if he had truly meant his earlier words? What is he really did love Lance? It sounded impossible to him, but the binding had seen it as truth.

But no. Even if Keith did care so deeply about him, he would never betray the mission. Not even for Lance.

Keith's hesitation seemed to really anger Condo. His eyes burned with fury. He picked Lance up by his arm, like he weighed nothing, and his own arm around Lance's throat.

"Tell me, or I swear to all the Gods you think you know, I will squeeze the life out of him in front of you."

Keith's eyes widened just a little. He saw how Lance was running out of air, each breath obstructed by the strong arm around his throat.

He looked up at Condo, who had a smile on his face. But when Keith looked into his eyes, he saw something else. Anger, fury, desperation?

He was bluffing, Keith realised with a pang.

"You won't," he said loudly.

"And why wouldn't I?" the commando asked sweetly. "To spare your feelings?"

Keith smiled. "Because Zarkon will kill you if you did. He wants all five of us alive, doesn't he?"

The smile vanished from Condos face, and Keith knew he had been right. He slowly exhaled. Condo pushed Lance aside, and pulled out his knife threateningly.

Lance gasped for breath, finally able to fill his lungs again.

Condo set his knife to Keith's throat, but Keith only grinned at him. "Why don't you kill me? I'm sure your emperor will be very happy with you then."

Condo looked like he was ready to explode. His face was beyond red, now turning slighly purple. His teeth were visible, and his hands shook.

Keith looked over at Lance, who seemed to be doing alright. Lance smiled back at him. Keith steadied his breathing. He had saved Lance. Well, sort of. They were still in enemy imprisonment, of course.

———————————————————

Heyya. Sorry for the long time between updates, been a bit busy. Hope this chapter isn't too shitty. If you can, please vote or leave a comment. I immensely appreciate them. I also realised I've been describing Lance's eyes as brown, while they are blue. Sorry bout that. Hope y'all have a wonderful day and an amazing week.

Love,

Me.