Chapter 44

'With time, I came to acknowledge the fact that the hardest part was not letting go of the past but rather learning to start over

'With time, I came to acknowledge the fact that the hardest part was not letting go of the past but rather learning to start over. So after sucking up everything that has happened during the last few months, I learned the hard way to forgive myself, you know for being hard on myself, for acting beneath me and for being petty. Cause at the end of the day, no one is perfect and your mistakes don't define who you are as a person.'

Emery blinked a few times, took a deep breath and looked back at the camera.

'It feels great to be back and I'm really grateful to you guys for sticking around. Don't forget to leave a comment down below, give this video a thumbs up and kindly subscribe. Wishing you all a Merry Christmas.'

After ending her video, Emery reclined back in the operator chair and relished another deep breath. It did feel good to be back to doing something she cherished and baring her heart out certainly lifted the heaviness off her chest.

Not to waste any more of her time in the confines of such a recollective place, she had spent her Christmas holidays packing up her luggage. And now she only had to wait for Christopher to arrive from his trip to break the news to him.

Emery kept her eyes heaven-bound, soaking up the familiar homely scent and the subconscious sounds of the empty house which once teemed up with life.

But time and again, her gaze would shift to the open envelope on her nightstand and like before, she found herself being drawn to the so-called peace offering.

Hesitantly, she rose from the chair and strolled over to the bed. Picking up the envelope, she pulled out the red box and pried it open. Two pieces of glimmering rings stared back at her. 

I never got the chance to give it to you. The card attached to it read. 

A vindictive thought ran through Emery's mind as she stared haughtily at the diamond pieces-and that was to pawn off the damn things together with the necklace which still adorned her neck.

However, she found the idea demeaning since she had vehemently refused to make use of his tokens. Hastily, she shoved the rings into its box and stashed it back into the envelope.

Her phone dinged and she grabbed the newly purchased cell phone from the desk. A smile touched her lips when she read Natalia's messages. 

Edging off the bed, Emery grabbed her neck scarf and purse before strolling out of her bedroom. She went to the kitchen to retrieve the cake from the fridge and headed out.

Although it was a sunny day, the air was icy cold against the skin so she quickly set the cake on the passenger seat and wrapped the scarf around her neck. She then pulled out of the house and drove to the nearest café to wait for Christopher and Natalia.