TWO

TW: Mention of s*ic*de, ab*se, bl**d

Flashback

"Sargent, you bastard! Come downstairs right this minute,"

Sargent had done something, as always, and he was ready to go downstairs and take responsibility for his actions. He was used to this, but his parents were tired of his reckless behavior. Ever since his brother had passed away, nothing had ever been the same for him and his parents.

"Calm down, I'm here," Sargent said when he came downstairs. Dressed in his usual dark clothes, eyes red from all the powder he'd been drowning himself in, he looked like he'd been through hell and back. The numb feeling calmed him down and the entire room was spinning but it was the only thing making him stop feeling. If drugs were the only thing keeping him out of reality, he'd do anything to keep using them.

The sound of his dad taking his belt off didn't even faze him, that's how gone he was, but he was also used to his beatings by now. His dad motioned for him to come closer and it was like his body was moving for him. This was his reality now, his own hellhole, made for him. You could hear his dad muttering words to himself, spitting out his hatred for his son.

"Take this, you bastard,"

"It's all your fault, you should've died instead of him"

"Die, Die, Die"

Sargent finally started to feel some of the pain, but he still didn't react to it because that meant that his dad would get mad and beat him even more. He let his dad torture him like this almost every dat, not because his dad was right, just because Sargent blamed himself as his dad did. It should've been him and not his brother, not Blaine. Just Sargent.

"Oh my god!" you could hear Sophie, Sargent's mom, scream throughout the whole entire.

"Let go of him" she tried to drag his father away from Sargent.

"Are you out of your mind! How can you do this to our son!" his mother was full-on crying now. She couldn't believe what her husband was doing to their son. Sophie had not once seen her husband look so vengeful. Sargent's mom didn't have any idea of what was going on in the house while she was gone for work, and Sargent didn't want to tell his mom and make her sadder either.

"I had to do it, Sophie! He's the reason our son is dead," his dad yelled back at her, trying to free himself from her grip so he could continue taking his anger out on his son, who was now unconscious on the floor.

"Peter! He didn't kill Blaine,"

"But-"

"No! Stop this! Blaine died in an accident, and Sargent had nothing to do with it!"

Sophie felt like she was in a nightmare. Her husband needed help, and she knew it, but her thoughts were spinning. Poor Sargent had been taking the beating for something he hadn't done for year, and it came to the point where he started believing his dad's words. Maybe he was the reason why his brother was dead.

That night, his mom had been up all night cleaning his wounds, crying while she looked at the old scars. When the morning came, Sargent woke up to his mother's scream that never stopped echoing in his head.

His dad had taken his own life. Lying in his own puddle of blood, the lifeless eyes of his dad were imprinted in his mind like a curse. Yet, fourteen-year-old Sargent never wanted to understand what had happened that night. He just wanted to forget the smell of iron and do what he always did best. Blame himself, just like his dad. If he wasn't the reason behind his brother's death, maybe his dad would've been alive now and his mom wouldn't have gone through all this misery.