fourteen

Kaycee felt on the verge of tears, second after second, since the moment she woke up on that very special day because she couldn't believe her daughter was actually one. She couldn't believe she had been a mother for a whole year now.

It was around ten in the morning and Kaycee was in the kitchen making breakfast, as Jia was sitting on her high chair when the doorbell rang.

"Don't try to unbuckle yourself, lady." She said to her daughter as she walked to open the door.

"Where is the love of my life?" Bailey said, as always, walking straight inside the house, and to her surprise, all of her friends were there — Sean cared a box of cake.

"What are you guys doing here?" She asked after saying hello to everyone, as they walked to the kitchen with her.

"Did you really thought we would come just for the party?" Said Tahani.

"We are going to sing happy birthday to this beauty here." Said Bailey, with Jia now in her was arms. "Sean made a cake."

"He did, didn't he?" Of course, he did, she thought to herself as they shared a quick smile.

They've sung happy birthday to Jia and the little girl loved more than anything else in the world, she was clapping her hands, giggling, and trying to sing along — Kaycee's heart felt like exploding from how much she loved the little one, and for seeing how much her friends loved her daughter too.

They've cut slices of cake for everyone, Jia was in Sean's arms as Julian and Chloe played feeding her cake.

"She's very attached to him already, right?" Tahani said stopping beside Kaycee, as they watched the scene and ate some cake.

"Do you think?" Kaycee tried to be casual.

"Are you guys gonna try?" The other asked and Kaycee took a deep breath.

"I don't know, I mean, my baggage is huge now." She said, shrugging.

Tahani chuckled. "He doesn't seem to mind carrying it for you."

They smiled — after Sean was back, Kaycee needed to confide in someone about what happened in Australia, so she told Tahani and Tahani only. "He has been very cautious about everything, not sure if he's fully ready. I feel like something is holding him back."

"It's Sean and it's you, he's probably trying to make things go perfectly." Said her best friend. "... and Gabe?"

Kaycee sighed, grabbing her phone to check if he answered her messages. "Haven't heard from him in two days... but he said he would be here."

After spending a bit more time with her friends, she excused herself to take a shower and to get Jia ready too after the girl got all dirty from the cake— her friends stayed downstairs, promising to help the lady with the decorations once she got there.

Kaycee got herself dressed in light colors to match the party theme and dressed Jia in a pretty dress — while downstairs the decorations were all in place and people were starting to arrive.

"Honestly I don't know what to do with your hair." Said Kaycee as she finished dressing her daughter, who was now sitting in bed and playing with a hairbrush.

"I got something that can help." Sean's voice coming from the door startled Kaycee — he walked to them, giving Kaycee a small gift. "It's not her real birthday gift, that one is downstairs but I was walking by this store and I saw it and I thought she would look cute with it."