15 Knife, Saw, and Cauldron 1/3

刀鋸鼎鑊
dāojùdǐnghuò
Knife, saw and cauldron
Ancient instruments of torture

Even before the explosion, Kageyama's day had been ruined from the first.

In the same way repeated drops of water on one's forehead can turn from a cool trickle to agony, the events of the day built, drumming against his soul, threatening his composure.

He had risen early to watch the sunrise, an almost ritual like habit of his. His quarters were adjacent to Sanli's, but on the south eastern side of Chuanfang. He rose and went to the veranda, feet bare, pulling on a shirt for the sake of propriety, not warmth. Kageyama was rarely cold.

As they always did, Kageyama's eyes fixed on the eastern horizon, as if he could catch sight of the lone, symmetrical mountain that was the symbol of his homeland, silhouetted by the rising sun. But of course it was too far.

Then the sun would rise completely, and looking east would cause his sharp eyes to burn. He would blink and look away, the outline of the just risen sun burned into his vision, until the Green King's magic healed him and he was able to see clearly again.

That morning, the sunrise was beautiful, but afterwards red light illuminated the horizon for too long. There was bad weather coming.

Kageyama was about to go back inside and prepare for the day when he heard a window above him open.

He looked upwards just as the girl appeared at her window, propping her chin on one hand and looking out at the sea below. Her look was contemplative, and Kageyama wondered what was passing through her head.

Probably more ways to get coin out of Sanli. Or vex Kageyama.

Still, if money was her only goal, it would have made sense for her to take Kageyama up on his offer to stay away. That would have guaranteed her far more coin than she could ever hope for, and with the only requirement from her being to stay away from Sanli.

Kageyama didn't understand why she was here. He didn't understand what the girl wanted. He didn't even understand what she was. And that bothered him. He didn't like not knowing things.

He scowled up at the girl, and as if feeling his eyes she suddenly looked down at him. She smirked in return to his scowl, then disappeared and shut her window.

Chh. Barely sunrise, and already he was in a bad mood.

The morning got worse, as he encountered Ao a second time when he went to rouse Sanli. He caught sight of the practice papers spread on the floor before the two, and the characters that Sanli had, from an unnecessarily intimate position, been teaching Ao to write.

Xiyu. The bloody sixth god.

Wonderful. Now that the girl knew about Sanli's obsession, she had another way to further weave herself into their lives.