36

The door squeaked no matter how slowly she opened it

The door squeaked no matter how slowly she opened it. Rabids were sure to come running at the sound. Their sensitive ears would believe it to be a dinner bell ringing. She couldn't stay in this bathroom. Kris would come back soon enough. She told herself that if it was her, she would want someone to put her out of her misery. But she couldn't bring her hands to follow through with the action. It was harder when she knew them. His face wasn't just another in the crowd. This face held memories—brief memories, but memories.

Groans echoed in the hallway. Arryn couldn't make out how many Rabids there were. All she saw were shadows moving in the dim candle light. Moans mixed with the squeaking of shoes on the floor.

Clutching her katana tightly, she peeked her head out the door. To her right, she could see Duke's trap pressed against the wall. Several limbs flailed from the sides. Black blood painted the flooring and walls. Beyond the trap, the door her group had walked through mere hours ago sat open. The handle Darius turned to crank the door open lay broken on the floor. She couldn't close the door. The dam would keep overflowing with Rabids.

She stepped out into the hallway. At the moment, the flow of Rabids seemed to have slowed to a trickle. She decided now was the best time to leave the bathroom before the stream of zombies picked back up.

Walking on her tiptoes, she moved cautiously. A Rabid up ahead saw her, bustling full speed at her. It used to be a man, most likely a lawyer or some other high title job due to the decaying suit he wore. She readied her weapon, slicing when the beast got too close. She didn't know him. It was easy.

His painful groan caught the attention of four more. These Rabids were like the old Greek beast—The Hydra. Cut off one head, two more will appear. She couldn't take on all four of them. Scanning the hallway, she caught sight of a thin wire running up the side of the wall. A button lay on the opposite side. Not knowing what it did, and not having time to waste, she closed the short distance between her and the red circle. Her hand slammed against it, praying for some type of miracle.

The walls seemed to come to life, shooting hundreds of arrows from both sides. She hadn't noticed the small, circular holes on either side of the walls until now. It had been too dim.

The small horde fell to the ground, arrows sticking out of their twitching bodies. Arryn made sure the coast was clear, from both Rabids and arrows, before moving forward. She made it into the open area of the food court when she heard the commotion.

Standing on one of the tables, Duke stood trying to fight off a large group of Rabids. Arryn didn't see the rest of her group or Darius. Only Duke. They must have gotten separated.

"I said back up you ugly freaks!" he shouted, swinging a thin metal object at one of their heads. "Hole in one you ugly bastard." He swung the object again. A cracking noise resonated off the walls.

His body was covered in the creature's blood. He looked to be at this for awhile, seeming out of breath.

Arryn wanted to help, but one of the creatures moved behind him, ripping him off balance. He fell hard on the table with a crunch. The zombies wasted no time ripping him to pieces. The golf club swung around wildly in the air for a moment, before falling limply to the ground with a clatter. A river of red flowed as Duke's screams silenced. Rabids ripped and pulled as strands of his flesh snapped like a thread. The only sounds left were the satisfied groans of the Rabids as they tore into Duke.