sixteen

friday morning | la

——————

   Today had come. It was the day of Malia's memorial service and her impact on people could be seen with the attendance. Many people came to pay their respects to her and her family.

It never rained in Southern California, but today was different. It was a downpour as if the sky was crying, too. A startling low rumble rang loud in the cool fall air.

   Papa held an umbrella above my mom and I's head as we walked to the entrance of the church. We took the empty seats next to the door since we were a bit late.

It was still kind of unbelievable. You expect women like Malia to live a long life. While she did live long, it still felt short.

   The Valentine-King family took up majority of one side while friends and others filled up the rest of the church.

My eyes were on Adrian as I realized that he'd kept his head down. He finally responded to me last night and it was heartbreaking to watch my friend go through this.

   Malia was the world to him. As he was to her.

The entire family was heartbroken. I looked over at Khari who had his head between his legs. I could tell that he was sobbing, and I blinked away a few tears.

   I knew his pain. I could identify with something for once, although, I wish I couldn't. Shiloh and I hadn't been married for over 30 years, but I'd love him.

And to have someone taken away from you so suddenly can kill you. If you let it.

     I hoped their kids and grandkids tried to keep their father and grandfather's spirits up. He would need it. That's what's going to keep him alive.

Auntie Rayne got up with a microphone, signaling that she was about to sing. She stood directly in front of Malia's family and the pastor opened up the song.

Cause Heaven waits for me

The gates I can almost see

Cause heavens waits

For me

I can almost see his feet

Because heaven waits for me

No more crying

She won't be alone

Her mother is up there waiting

For her child to come home

I'm so sorry

She had to leave you here

But if you knew where she was going

You wouldn't shed another tear

She's trading mortal

For immortality

God gave her some wings

I wish you could see

Don't shed a tear

Just whatever you do try to make it there

Oh glory to god

Thank you father

    Roman got up suddenly and began to walk out. Tamara immediately followed behind him. Auntie Rayne's voice and words made everyone in the church cry.