[ CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT ]

1002, southern France

Her night had started out as so peaceful, not a sound piercing through the air as she lounged back on the bed with Niklaus

Wearing only her nightshift, Astrid had been curled into Nik's warm embrace, allowing his natural body heat to warm up her cold exterior.

Though she had quickly been torn from his embrace when their chamber door had burst open, revealing a shaken Aubrianne.

Her cheeks had been flushed red and tear stained, while she was exhaling heavily, trying to catch her breath.

Astrid knew something was wrong as soon as she saw the look in Aubrianne's eyes.

They reminded Astrid of a deer's upon seeing a predator, wide and alarmed.

Quickly pulling away from Nik, Astrid had made her way to Aubrianne's side, laying a hand on the girl's shoulder.

"Aubrianne, what is wrong?"

Flinching at the sudden touch, Aubrianne batted Astrid's hand away as Nik frowned, sitting up to pull his tunic on, covering up his bare torso.

"It's Lucien- he's... There was a misunderstanding- and, and Tristan." Aubrianne panted, managing to stutter the words out between each lengthy exhale.

At the mention of Lucien, Nik was alert as he stood, making the way over to the two women. Astrid was unsure of what to think as she stared down at Aubrianne, trying to make sense of what the redhead was saying.

"Lucien? What's happened?" Niklaus instantly question, concern settling in his stomach at the mention of the human he considered a good friend.

'Lucien had always been cautious around Lord Tristan and had clearly been aware of what the heir of the castle could do. It seemed strange that Lucien would have somehow gotten himself into trouble, unless he had tried to give the note to Aurora...'  Nik was cut out of his thoughts by the sound of Aubrianne sniffling.

Wiping away her tears, she trembled. "It was a misunderstanding... I... I couldn't do anything. I tried... I really did." Aubrianne cried, shaking her head frantically as Astrid eyed the woman in concern.

Whatever had happened, it had really shook Aubrianne up.

Usually the mousy girl was very calm and collected, showing little emotion, so it was strange for Astrid to see the human in such a vulnerable state.

Frowning, Niklaus didn't seem to care much for Aubrianne's wellbeing. "Where is he? Take us to him." He demanded.

"I... He..." Aubrianne cried, her knees shaking. Astrid expected the girl to fall to the floor at any second.

She was growing paler and paler by the minute.

Niklaus temper flared as he glared at Aubrianne, consumed with worry for Lucien as he suddenly lurched forward, gripping her shoulders harshly.