[ CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE ]

1114, italy

It had been a while, one-hundred and two years to be exact, but Astrid often found herself thinking of their time in France.

She wondered how Aubrianne was, if she was alive that was.

They had to flee France after a newly turned Lucien had attracted even more unwanted attention, something which had evidently taken a toll on her husband.

She feared his humanity was disappearing, he showed little regard for human life now and went by a different name. Other's called him Klaus and he had now established a very dark and fearsome reputation.

It seemed leaving Aurora and Lucien behind had chipped away at his heart, that the friends he had grown to cherish had not wanted to join them upon leaving.

Astrid could still remember the bitter and hateful words they had spat at Nik, leaving him distraught.

Not only was her husband now more ruthless, he was starting to come increasingly more paranoid. It seemed he believed everyone was plotting against him.

It had been a while since Astrid had spoken to Kol, with Niklaus' overwhelming jealousy it was difficult to leave his side.

She loved her husband dearly, but she feared this was all becoming too much.

Though fortunately if she could confide in anyone, it was Elijah. He was the only one who shared the burden her husband was becoming.

"They're not very intelligent, are they?" Nik hummed, smirking as they walked around the gardens.

His arm was wrapped tightly around her waist, keeping her glued to his side as he usually did. Nodding, Astrid smiled tightly. "I suppose not."

They had stayed in Italy for the past two weeks, living alongside the new hunters that went by the name of 'the brotherhood of the five'. They were notorious and deadly vampire hunters, supernaturally gifted by a dying witch to hunt down vampires.

The five hunters had been speaking of a family of original vampires who had arrived in Italy, turning people as they went.

It seemed the band of five hunters wanted to destroy them, however, Astrid had no concerns. They were immortal and could not die, the only thing that could harm them, the white oak tree, had been burnt to the ground over a hundred years ago.

Out of all of the siblings, it seemed to only be Elijah who was concerned of the threat the hunters possessed. Rebekah certainly didn't seem too concerned, as she was in fact courting one of the hunters, a very handsome man named Alexander.

At the sight of Rebekah, holding the arm of Alexander, Astrid's smile faded, her lips forming a straight line. "I don't like their relationship." She admitted, meeting Niklaus gaze worriedly.

Nik let out a laugh, shaking his head. "Oh my love, don't worry about the big bad hunter. Rebekah could rip his throat out in his sleep if she wished too."

Not appreciating his mocking tone, Astrid paused, making Nik halt in his stead. "I'm worried she's going to get attached, Nik. She's going to get hurt."

"Yes, I suppose so." Nik shrugged carelessly, making Astrid narrow her eyes.

Frowning, Astrid yanked herself out of Niklaus' grip, not missing the way his gaze darkened. "She cares for him, and if he discovers what she is..."

Once again, Nik chuckled. "Yes, I think Bekah assumes he would magically accept her, and she'd turn him and the two would live happily ever after. But at the end of the day, Rebekah is a big girl and as long as she remembers where her loyalties lie, then I have no issue with the matter."

Before she could even protest, the sound of cheering caught her attention, followed by the scraping of a rather large casket being dragged along the pathway.

Raising a brow, Astrid didn't have to say a word before Niklaus was gently guiding her towards the sound, his lips turning up in amusement when his eyes landed on Alexander.

The hunter had reluctantly left Rebekah's side and was standing in the middle of the town's square. Swallowing, Astrid managed to hide her surprise at the sight of several vampires tied to wooden poles around them, large stakes pressed into their hearts, rendering the newly turned vampires lifeless.

With a prideful grin, Alexander's eyes scanned the crowd, meeting Rebekah's heated gaze momentarily before he focused once more.

Stopping by Elijah's side, Nik didn't hide his smirk as he watched the display, amused more than anything.

Elijah seemed somewhat stunned, though he managed to mask his emotions as he nodded in greeting to the two of them.

"These demons live among you. Passing as human." Alexander projected, his eyes narrowing at the sight of the deceased vampires.

Fortunately, the hunters weren't aware of the daylight rings Esther had spelled for them, allowing them to walk freely among the sunlight.

As far as the hunters knew, all vampires were bound to the sun, cursed to live in the shadows for eternity.

Approaching the large, locked box, Alexander didn't hesitate as he began loosening the locks. "So, witness with your own eyes."

The locks fell to the floor as Alexander wrenched the box open, revealing a pale man pressed against the side.

Stepping forward, he let out an agonizing scream as the sunlight met his skin, setting him ablaze.

The skin melted from his bones, turning him grey and blackened as the vampire fell limply on the ground. Astrid managed to withhold wincing, she could vividly remember being newly turned, stepping into the sunlight discovering it's warm rays burned her.

Arm still linked with Nik's, Astrid's fingers moved down the fiddle with her daylight ring, something Niklaus noticed but made no comment on.

Gasps echoed throughout the small crowd as Alexander stepped back proudly. Without another word, he walked down from the stage, looking rather unabashed as he moved through the crowd, towards a certain blonde original.

Turning to his brother, Elijah was evidently wary as he frowned. "He's putting on quite the show."

Snorting, Klaus dismissed the comment with a wave of a hand. "He is nothing. I could eat him for sport."

"Nik-" Astrid tried, but was silenced by a hush from her husband.

Astrid supressed a sigh, perhaps she wasn't afraid the hunters could harm them, but she was aware of the fact they had to tread carefully, especially with Mikael hunting them down.

Understanding Astrid's annoyance, Elijah nodded, his lips in a firm line. "Still you should heed the warning. Between you here and Kol in the east, you have not been discreet. Stories of the Original vampires are spreading."

Once more Klaus chuckled, pulling Astrid closer, her cold body pressing against his heated, firm chest. Fingers brushing lovingly over her cheek, he smiled. "I welcome such infamy, but if you're worried about discretion, perhaps you should wrangle our sister."

Turning around to glance back at Rebekah. Alexander was now standing by her, his hand in hers as he placed a slow, gentle kiss on her palm before linking his arm through hers.

As the two walked away together, arm in arm, Astrid nuzzled closer to her husband, a dreaded feeling resting in the pit of her stomach. Something told her that no matter what she did, it would all end in tears for Rebekah. She had always been a fool for love, just as Astrid was now.

Meeting Elijah's gaze, he didn't need to speak to confirm he was thinking the same as Astrid.