chapter seven

---

---

Unfortunately, I got stuck sitting with Wanda and Pietro as Steve made sure nothing went wrong upfront.

My head was in my hands as all I could think of was Nat and the fact Ultron had her. 

"Anya, right?" Pietro spoke up. 

I looked up, nodding. The twins seemed to sense my reluctance to converse with them as they stopped talking. I sat up, looking to Steve who was preoccupied. 

"I'm sorry," Wanda whispered after a long silence. "For what I made you see."

"You act like that changes anything," I spat. I watched as she flinched slightly. "Besides, it was nothing new."

"What?" Wanda questioned. 

"You really think that's the first time I've feared losing control and killing everyone I've ever loved?" I questioned. "It's not, surely that's something you understand?"

I got up and walked over to Steve to end the conversation. 

---

We approached the lab to hear Bruce and Tony talking about uploading a new consciousness to the body within the crate. 

"The genetic coding tower's at ninety-seven per cent. You have got to upload that schematic in the next three minutes," I heard Bruce inform as we entered the room. 

"I'm gonna say this once," Steve warned. 

"How about 'nonce'?" Tony mocked, only glancing up for a second as he continued to type. 

"Shut it down," Steve ordered.

"Nope, not gonna happen," Tony responded, walking to another piece of machinery. 

"You don't know what you're doing," Steve voiced. 

"What are you doing?" I spoke up. 

"Loading JARVIS' consciousness into the body in the crate," Tony explained. 

"And you do know what you're doing, Steve? She's not in your head?" Bruce challenged. 

"I know you're angry," Wanda began to reason. 

"Oh, we're way past that. I could choke the life out of you and never change a shade," Bruce threatened. 

"Same," I voiced.

"Anya!" Steve scolded. 

"Hey, she's the one that gave us weird nightmares," I defended. Steve elected to ignore me, turning his attention back to Bruce. 

"Banner, after everything that's happened-"

"That's nothing compared to what's coming," Tony exclaimed.

"You don't know what's in there," Wanda yelled. 

"This isn't a game-" Steve argued. 

"The creature-" Wanda began.