11.) Baby Steps

The next day

"So you like this girl?" Karen, King's mom asked.

"I do... it's just, I'm not sure if we can even get through dis friend stage because she's been through some shit mama... like some tough shit." He told her as he placed his face in his hands and sighed.

"So she stayed tha' night with you correct?"

King nodded, "But when I got up dis morning she was gone... I haven't called or texted her yet because I want to give her some space."

"Even if she tells you she doesn't want you to check in on her she doesn't mean it King, you should know dat firsthand." She told him. "So you've known about her for how long?"

"We bumped into each other in January... so about four months. Tha' crazy thing is we both were confused on which date we met." He replied and she smiled seeing the soft smile that danced on his lips.

"But... she went away?" Karen was a bit confused.

"When we finally started to kick it she disappeared for two months," he explained. 

"And came back like dis?"

"Yeah." He mumbled.

Karen stared at him for a moment then took a deep breath. "Do you think she's crazy or has like split personality?"

He looked at her like she had three heads. "I spoke with her before she was sent away ma, shorty is sane, she wasn't like dis until AFTER she came back from dat damn place."

"So maybe whatever happened to her turned her a little... crazy." She stated.

King shook his head. "If you knew what happened to her you wouldn't keep labeling her as crazy, ma."

Confused, Karen leaned forward, "Ok so help me understand."

"Don't worry 'bout it, I'll call you later," he stood.

"If I offended you in any way let me know." She said after they hugged.

"I'm cool, I'm finna call her." He grabbed his keys and headed out.

"Ok, well I hope things get better for you two."

Nodding, King clicked on Renae's contact and hit the FaceTime option. Getting situated in his car, she answered after a few moments with watery eyes.

"What happened?" Was the first thing that left his mouth.

"I'm soooo sick of myself," she grumbled as she wiped her face.

"What happened babygirl?"

"I had a damn anxiety attack at the gas station."

"Was somebody bothering you?" He questioned.

"No... the guy just called me pretty." Pausing, she shook her head and blew out a frustrated breath. "I don't know... I just freaked out. Hot ass mess." Covering her face she shook her head as she tapped her right foot against the floor.

Examining her background, King started his car up. "You at the studio?" He asked.

"Yeah, I don't even have the energy to dance."

"I'm on my way." He told her pulling out of his mom's driveway. "Where'd you go dis morning?" He decided to change the subject.