Chapter 84

Author's note: Surprise! A bonus chapter! Hope you all enjoy!

_________

Chapter Eighty Four

The run back to Woody's cabin went quicker than the run to the meadow, mostly because I didn't run at all. The entire time, Sebastian carried me back in his arms, cradling me like he would never let me go. I kept my face buried against his chest, clinging to him for dear life.

The wind tore at my hair and hood, which I'd pulled up just to protect me from it.

I still couldn't wrap my head around what had happened earlier.

After he'd bonded with me, for almost an hour, he'd lain on top of me listening to the beat of my heart. I'd been content to lie in that cool, flower-filled field staring up at the stars, but because of how into our moments we'd been, neither of us had been paying attention to the time.

It was only when the sky had begun to lighten that I'd realized dawn was coming.

"Uh, oh," I'd whispered, and he'd stiffened against me when I'd jumped. "Dawn! What time is it?"

And upon checking his phone, both of us had found that it was almost six in the morning. Which meant that the sun was going to slide over the horizon in roughly less than an hour from that very moment. Which brings us back to the current moment, again, with me cradled against his chest and him tearing through the mountains as if the devil himself were dogging his ass.

"You're gonna be fine!" he bellowed through heaving pants and the deafening thunder of the wind roaring in my ears. "We're gonna make it! We're roughly seven miles away... we'll be back and I'll have you safe inside within the next two minutes, you have my word."

I didn't respond, mostly because I couldn't with the amount of jostling and lack of air.

It took all of my concentration just to inhale properly since being carried while he ran at top speed was literally like being caught in a pressurized cyclone. It wasn't long at all before he slowed his breakneck speed and came skipping to an eventual human-paced trot, making a sharp turn up a familiar gravel driveway and through a familiar copse of trees.

I sighed in relief when I saw Woody's cabin come into view, then glanced at the steadily brightening sky over to the east. From the looks of things, dawn was literally about to break and I swallowed hard, knowing I never would have made it back in time on my own.

Damn, he's fast, I mentally sighed. Why can't I be that quick?

He set me down on my feet in front of the door, and I reached for the handle... but as I was doing so, I noticed a devilish, triumphant smirk lacing his lips and paused, turning to look at him. The expression was immediately replaced with a stoic, bored stare, and when he raised an eyebrow I frowned, wondering if I'd been seeing things. I eventually shook it off and turned the knob, opening the dront door.

"Woody, Tiffany," I called, stepping inside and absently pulling my hood off. "We're back... whoa..."

I stopped dead, looking around in confusion since the room was so dark that I literally couldn't see anything in front of me. I could barely even make out the couches, and I was only able to catch the silhouette of the love seat near the door because the dim early morning light was filtering into the room from outside.

"What's wrong?" Sebastian purred, setting a heavy hand on my shoulder.

"It's dark," I said simply, squinting around, "and like a dumbass, I don't remember where the light switch is."