#2 Thomas Robertson

Another new day! Emily goes to school with panda eyes. She barely got any sleep yesterday and hasn't read her birth certificate completely because she's too scared to read it. She yawns many times while walking to school.

   "Hey, Emily!" Katherine pats Emily's shoulder, looking solemn.

   "Hmmm?" Emily yawns again. Her other best friend, Anthony Henderson is here too. Katherine and Anthony are her very close friends that she can tell her secrets to in this school.

   "Emily, we need to talk," Anthony says while putting his hands in his pockets.

*******

   "How did you know?" Emily asks surprisedly.

   "You looked gloomy and suspicious yesterday, so we decided to go to your house and what we saw is unbelievable! Why do you hide all of these from us, Emily? Best friends don't hide things from each other," explains Katherine.

   "You need to report to the police about your abusive mother. You can't let her torment you. Look what she did to your arms!" Anthony pulls up the sleeve of Emily's shirt and they can see wounds and bluish-black bruises on her arm.

   "I know, but....." Emily stops talking when tears start streaming down her face. "Oh, Emily..." both of her friends pat and rub her shoulders, trying to calm her down.

   "I'm sorry. I just need some time to be alone," Emily wipes off the tears of her face and turns away.

   "Em, wait!" Katherine wants to chase after Emily, but Anthony gently puts his hand on her shoulder while saying, "Let her be. She'll be okay soon".

*******

   Emily sniffs and wipes the remains of her tears off. She can't stop crying. 'Why do you have to cry? Stop being so emotional!' Emily mentally slaps herself and that is when she stops crying. She sighs and starts walking towards her class. All of a sudden, she accidentally bumps into someone.

   "Hey, watch your way!" someone says.

   "I'm sorry. I....." Emily looks up to find a face that almost identical to her, but wait - it belongs to a boy.

   He is also speechless when he sees Emily's face, but he quickly clears his throat. "That's okay. Umm... Do you know where this class is?" he shows Emily a piece of paper.

   "Oh, this is my class! Come on. Let's walk together," Emily tries to be friendly because he looks new here.

   "Thank you."

   They walk together in silence and sometimes the other students stare at them and whisper to each other. Emily just rolls her eyes and ignores them. Meanwhile, the boy looks uncomfortable.

********

   "Here we are," Emily says and opens the door. The desks are all fully occupied by students and there is a pair of desks that is still vacant in the middle of the class.

   "I guess we have to be together again," the boy says and walks towards the empty desks. Emily shrugs and does the same.

   Emily takes out a book, notebook and her pencil case and arranges them on her desk. She hears the boy clear his throat, so she turns to him.

   "Hi, my name is Thomas Robertson. What's your name?" he reaches out his hand. He thinks he sounds too formal.

   "I am Emily Richwood. Nice to meet you, Thomas," Emily shakes hand with Thomas.

   "Nice to meet you also," Thomas doesn't know why he still sounds formal. Maybe it is because of Emily's accent - it sounds so posh.

   "EMILY !!"

   A sudden loud voice makes both of them feel like their hearts are out of their chests.

   "Yeah?" Emily smiles at Katherine and Anthony.

   "Hey, you're okay and...." Katherine looks at Thomas suspiciously.

   "Oh! This is Thomas. Thomas, these are Katherine and Anthony," Emily introduces the three of them. They smile awkwardly and shake each other's hands.

   "The teacher's here! Okay, Em, see you after class," Anthony says and walks out of the class. Katherine just smiles and nods at Emily and goes to her desk. Before she left, she takes a glance at Thomas.

*******

   After school, Emily waits for Katherine and Anthony at the outside of the school. She sees a little girl suddenly falls down on a pavement, so she hurries to her.

   "Are you all right? Let me help you," Emily reaches out her hand and helps the girl to get up to her feet.

   "Thank you," the girl says softly and smiles at Emily.

   "Liz," someone speaks from behind. Both girls turn back and see a middle-aged man standing behind them.

   "Papa!" the girl runs to the man, who is now known as her father. The man looks down to smile at his daughter and then walks towards Emily.

   "Hi. Thank you for what you did just now," the man states.

   "Oh, that's not a big deal. Everybody would do the same if they were in my situation," Emily smiles awkwardly. After that, she sees someone approaching them.

   "Hey, Emily!" Thomas waves at Emily.

   "You know her?" the man points at Emily.

   "Yeah, dad. We're in a same class," Thomas answers, trying to be cool.

   "Oh, brilliant! What's your name?" the man asks Emily.

   "Emily Richwood," Emily notices that the man's face change all of a sudden. She raises her eyebrow at Thomas. Thomas realises that and he gently nudges his father.

   "Oh, sorry! Your name sounds familiar to me," the man smiles. Emily just nods and laughs softly. 'Sounds familiar, huh? It's weird because I also feel that your face looks familiar to me,' Emily says to herself.

*******

   Emily returns home and finds her mother on the floor with a shattered glass bottle.

   "Mummy! Wake up! What's happening to you?" Emily shakes Jennifer's body. Her mother opens her eyes and suddenly her face changes.

   "You! Because of you, I lost my job!" Jennifer gets up and starts to kick Emily.

   "What are you talking about, Mummy? You're drunk right now," Emily defends herself with her bag.

   "Shut up! You should be gone just like your barmy father," Jennifer stops kicking and walks away. Emily just stays there and thinks of how to escape from her mother.

______________________________________

What do you think of this chapter? 😉
Have you made any speculation yet? Maybe this is a hackneyed part. 😬
And I'm sorry for any grammatical error. There are a few parts that I'm not so sure if they are correct or not. Well, I'm not a grammarian. But, I'll try!

♡♥♡♥♡♥
Bye-bye !! Love you ~! ❤💙💜