sixteen

As she planed the day before with Sean, Kaycee was up and so was her daughter, and they were ready to go meet him in the studio — the bag had everything she needed for herself and Jia, her daughter was in her arms and she was about to open the door to leave when the doorbell hang. 

She opened the door, surprised to found him on the other side. "What are you doing here?"

"Happy to see you." He said, entering the house.

"Can't say the same." She answered, setting her bag on the floor and closing the door. "Again, what are you doing here, Gabe?"

"You would know if you pick up my calls or answered my texts." He said while wandering his eyes around the house.

"If you are searching for Sean he's naked in my bed upstairs." She said, sarcastically, but the look on his face wasn't from someone that enjoyed a joke.

He scoffed. "Don't play with me, Kaycee, you know I ain't good at losing."

"If I didn't before I would have known by now." She said while setting her daughter in her pack n play. "What do you want?"

"Oh, lots of things could answer that question." He walked to her with a suggestive look on his face, she created some distance between them.

"I'm serious." She said and he sighed.

"I wanted to check if you got everything for the DNA test in the mail." He said, lowering himself to be in Jia's level. "And also, I wanted to see my daughter."

"I thought she wasn't your daughter." She said sarcastically once more.

"I know I said some shitty things the other day but..." His voice was lower now, he sighed. "believe me, I don't want for her to be his."

Kaycee sat on the couch and kept herself quiet as he continued. "I know I haven't been always the best father but come on, we were both still learning how to do this."

He stood up and sat on the couch with her. "I can see my mistakes now, kayc and I really won't do it again but you and Jia... you guys are everything I have and I was an idiot for letting you go, and I can't and don't want to lose Jia too."

Even though Kaycee wanted to scream at him for all the things he put her through, she couldn't avoid feeling empathy for him because she could tell he was telling the truth — and being honest, she wouldn't want to lose Jia too.

She sighed. "I got everything."

He looked at her, surprised. "Does that mean-"

"Yes, Gabe." She answered while standing up, grabbing her daughter once more. "It means we are doing this, but I just you to know that I didn't want to, but I know it's your right so we better do this friendly."

"We can do it friendly." He said, standing too.

"Not only to me." He frowned for a second, before understanding she was talking about Sean.

He chuckled. "No, fucking way."

"Hey, don't curse in front of her, she tries to repeat everything now." She said, angrily again.

"You aren't really asking me to be friendly with the guy my wife had an affair with, right?" He asked, sounding mad too.

"It wasn't an affair and I'm not asking you to be the best buddy with him, I'm asking to be polite... at least in front of Jia, cause she likes him and I don't want for her to grow up thinking she has to hate one of you." She said.

He sighed. "Alright."

She knew he was just saying and not really meaning, but she decided to let it go since she was late. "Great, now if you excuse us, we were leaving."