silent punishment

Enjoy!🤍

"Live life to the fullest, and focus on the positive."— Matt Cameron
———————————————————

Chapter 40
<——————————————->

I didn't expect the silence from my dad. I couldn't tell if I were lucky, and the principal hadn't called him, or if my father was just guilt-tripping me.

I tried to head to my bedroom as quick as possible with an excuse of overloading homework. My intentions failed as I heard my dad's voice.

"Sit down, now," he demanded.

Slowly, I took a seat at the end of the table. Far away from him.

Teresa smiled at me as she placed a plate down. I nodded my head as a thanks, wary of my father's upcoming wrath.

Instead, I got the opposite. The atmosphere was quiet, the tension unbearable. I stared down at my feet as I weighed at the thought of speaking first.

My head raised as the door of the living room opened. Ryland walked through it, and started the conversation himself, as I slightly expected him to do.

"What happened, Kimberly?" he sat in the chair next to mine, glaring at me.

I chose not to answer him. Instead, I looked at my father, whose eyes were already on me.

"How could you be so stupid, Kimberly?" Ryland asked, his words painful. "Now, you're suspended for a damn week."

"This is really none of your concern, Ryland," Teresa cut in, to my surprise.

I trailed my shaky fingertips across my silverware, before placing it back down. It was quiet again, before I interrupted it.

"Dad, I don't know what got into me..." I trailed off into my lie. I knew exactly what happened; I reached my limit and snapped.

Still, he said nothing.

Finally, I could no longer take the anticipation of the punishment. "Just yell at me, scold me, do something."

"The food is amazing, dear," dad bypassed my words, and acknowledged Teresa instead.

I was sure I sounded insane, begging for my father's punishment. But, I could no longer handle the awkward tension in the room, awaiting for my dad's scolding.

Neither of them knew of the bullying, but I did let them know that Amber had been tormenting me ever since I started at that school. They claimed that I should have been the better person, which nearly sent me into heart palpitations. How the hell do you be the bigger person when you're constantly getting pushed over? I didn't feel an ounce of regret for what I did, and if I had the opportunity, I'd do it again, gladly.

"Dad?" I said as he took a sip of his water.

This time, he got the message. He placed his glass down, clasping his hands together before looking into my eyes.

I frowned. "Why aren't you yelling, or something? I know Mr. Collision told you, so why aren't you saying anything?" I questioned, my words desperate.

I gulped as he stood up. "I'm not angry, Kimberly, just disappointed." With a shake of his head, his brown eyes wandered over me once more, before he turned and walked into his bedroom.

"He's not alone," Ryland said, raking a hand through his blonde hair as he leaned back into the chair. 

I shut my eyes, wishing that this was a dream. My dads' words hurt as well as Ryland's, even though I knew it was coming. To hear of his disappointment hurt far worse than any punishment he could have given.