Chapter 3

The inside of the limo was silent except for the sound of the traffic filtering through the windows. Ethan studied the woman sitting across from him staring through the tinted window. He noted the tense shoulders and the worry in those green eyes, the same ones that had once enchanted him beyond reasonable thought. That is, until she had shown herself for the shallow woman she really was by breaking their relationship simply on the whims of a particularly distasteful spoiled young woman.

Nicky's sleek bob framed a face that hadn't changed much in the past five years, except for a certain self assured maturity in her features. Ethan allowed his gaze to travel down the flattering blouse contrasting sharply with the gleaming leather seat of the limo, the gentle swell of her breasts underneath the fabric and down to her hands resting primly on her lap. His eyes rested on the diamond engagement ring- simple yet undoubtedly worth a small fortune- if his intel on the fiance was correct. Ryan Silversmith of the Silversmith Corporation. A match made in billionaire heaven.

She turned, flushing when she noticed his scrutiny and nervously lifted a hand to tuck a stray strand of blonde hair back into its sleek bob. "Thank you for giving me this opportunity to speak with you Ethan." She said, her voice subdued yet still tinged with an upper class Boston accent that reeked of good breeding. "I know how busy you must be, so I appreciate it."

Ethan's lips curled in a derisive smile but he made no reply. He could feel nervousness and uncertainty emanating from her in waves and he experienced a brief flash of satisfaction at seeing her so uncomfortable . She shifted in her seat and crossed her bare legs, giving him a good view of smooth healthy skin and he felt himself respond to the sight.

Nicky dropped her gaze, wondering at his silence. Even more unnerving was the way he kept looking at her with that unnerving smile on his face. For the first time since getting in the vehicle with Ethan, Nicky felt apprehensive and she wished she'd listened to Erin's warning. But she could hardly sit by and watch Ethan go on a blazing part of destruction without doing anything to try and salvage the situation.

She cleared her throat delicately and tried again. "I want to apologize Ethan, for what happ..."

"You said you wished to speak to me about the hotel." Ethan cut into her speech. A muscle ticked in his jaw and Nicky felt her pulse speed up at the frigid tone.

"Yes." Nicky replied, running her tongue over her lower lip to moisten it. His eyes followed the movement and then turned to flint. "Yes, but I feel I should at least try to make restitution for calling off our relationship in the way I did."

Ethan glanced at his watch and gave her a pointed look. "I do not wish to discuss the past. I gave you permission to speak about the hotel, not things already forgotten. I am a busy man Nicola, and if this is a ruse to try to gain my attention again, then you are sadly mistaken."

Her cheeks flamed in embarrassment and she gasped at his accusation. "I am not trying to gain your attention Ethan." She protested. "That is certainly not why I am here. I just want to ask you to stop what you are doing to my family and Erin. If you have any issues, please take them out on me and leave them out of this."

The atmosphere in the limo was thick with tension and barely contained anger. Ethan stared at Nicky for long moments, his gaze causing goosebumps to form on Nicky's skin and she shivered even though the heater was going full blast.

The silence stretched on for indeterminable minutes before Ethan finally replied, his tone as cold as a Boston winter's night. "Issues?" He said, raising an eyebrow. "What issues pray tell Nicky?"

"This..this..revenge thing you have going on." Nicky shot back. "Erin told me the awful things you said to her the other day at your office, how you threatened her with humiliation..or are you going to deny it?"