111 - Labyrinth - Part 3

My hand brushes over the rough texture of the stone walls as I walk through the many twisting hallways. The makeshift structure probably only holds because it was made to trap me with smaller areas rather than one big one... in other words, they were busy dealing with the Tepet army and hadn't had time to deal with me orderly... this much is good information.

I can in no way say that I enjoy mazes. Whether it be entertainment or harassment. The spider clan, which harassed people with their food, had another horrible habit for messing with guests from other clans... all walls and furniture in their homes would change place overnight, basically creating a maze for you since no servants would go near your room in the morning. Because of their sneaky ways you'd risk being late, and of course they'd actually lie about having changed the area... it is an entire clan filled with failures that only knows how to do disagreeable things and gather information. If the emperor didn't hold his hand over them, they'd be eradicated by everyone they didn't have blackmail on...

I grit my teeth and shake off the memories... especially that of Kenta falling in love with a woman from said clan...

The rush from the song is gone. The sense of the ancestors' connections have faded, and I'm left in this dark mess of a prison. I've four spells left. One of which must be used to heal the injured...

I can activate the spells to climb walls again, but I'll be unarmed... but if I don't, I'll be stuck in their prison... it will take two spells... but more importantly... if I meet enemies in here, what do I do? I could throw a floodwave at them... but without a weapon to finish them off, I'll be helpless... no matter how I look at it, I won't have enough spells to make it out on my own. I simply don't have the power or the endurance... I am most likely going to die in here alone.

Of the three families in our clan, I always admired those who became the main force of soldiers rather than the commanders. They were... more beautiful than anything I'd seen. They were so close with their ancestors that it felt like you could see them overlap during a charge. Still... it was far from only the battlefield where they showed their immense courage. It was said that when a man wielding the dark arts tortured one, she refused to give in, and died on a pole refusing to even scream. Those are the people we grow up to admire... people filled with so much life force that it not just overwhelms you, but want to follow along.

I want that courage right now, for I am beginning to fear what view I would be met with on the other side.

"Clear."

I freeze up at the sound of a voice from one of the bends ahead... what to do? What do I know about their magic? Do they have to see where they place the wall? How precisely put are their walls? I know it takes but an instant to cast...

I look around and find a side path to step into, as adrenaline begins to rush through my body again. If I fight here, I risk being trapped for good... still... as I concluded, without a sword I'm helpless... if I use the enhancements and summon a sword, climbing will be nigh impossible, but I should be able to get past them.

I usually never whisper my spells, but I am hardly left with any options. I need at least half a minute before I'm ready to take them on. Lumere looks somewhat dissatisfied at the whispering, but appears to accept it as I increase the prayer length and formality. Enhancements done... sword summoned... now... there's only one thing left...

I note the pathway I was on before go bright, and step out. I've but an instant before they start casting magic, so cut one and move past them when they hesitate appears to be the optimal solution. I've only one spell left. One spell that I need to save. I set into a dash as the following words reach me:

"In the name of the crown pri-, surrender!"

I force him to cut the formalities short as I simply continue. This is not a negotiation, and you will not have a negotiation while having me trapped in a labyrinth! Not even if you are five guys and have me outnumbered and terrain advantage!