Chapter 7

Luna.

I finally understood why so many people used the name when referring to me. It wasn't a name, after all. It was a werewolf title; just like Alpha was.

Jared.

I still wasn't used to the idea of his name not being Alpha. I had been referring to him as such ever since we first met. Suddenly changing his name was going to take some time.

Luna.

I didn't know why, but for some reason I didn't mind the name anymore. Now that I knew the others weren't using it because they didn't know my real name, it had started to grow on me.

And it had a nice ring to it. Luna.

What I couldn't get out of my head, however, was the way Al—I mean Jared—referred to me as his Luna. I had never been one for possessive men, but... But with him I didn't mind it as much.

I was definitely starting to lose it. I had met the guy not even five days ago, and I knew close to nothing about him.

Luna.

For some reason I couldn't get the name out of my head. It had a pull I couldn't resist.

"Luna."

I had been repeating it over and over again inside my head, ever since Alp—Jared, damn it—had used it yesterday. The way it sounded as it rolled off his tongue.

"Luna."

Even now the name still echoed inside my mind, while I was strolling through the make-shift camp. Normally I would have preferred a walk in the surrounding forest, however, yesterday's incident with the wolf had me nailed to the proximity of the tents.

No, not a wolf, I had to remind myself. A werewolf.

I still shuttered at the thought of such creatures existing. In stories, they were described as vicious beasts who lurked in the shadows and feasted on human flesh.

And now Jared was one of them.

Maybe they weren't real monsters, but they weren't supposed to exist. Then again, how else could I explain Alpha shifting into a freaking wolf? There hadn't been anything natural about it.

Out of nowhere someone grabbed my forearm and forced me to a screeching stop. The same hand then twirled me around, so I come face to face with its owner.

Larry, the guy with whom I had distributed the meals, had his head titled to the side and was looking at me with a big question lurking in his eyes.

"Luna, is everything okay?" He was still holding onto my arm, proving to be much stronger than his lanky appearance suggested. "I kept calling you, but you just walked by."

"Sorry, I was..." I realized exactly what he called me. "Luna?"

I had concluded that whoever called me Luna had to be a werewolf. A normal human wouldn't know about the title, right?

I took a step closer to him, leaving less than half a step between us, and crouched a little. For a second he just continued to stare at me, but then he followed my lead and lowered his face closer to mine.

"Are you," I glanced in both directions to make sure we wouldn't be overheard, "a werewolf?"

"Yes," he whispered without a second of hesitation.

Despite me having been the one to ask him the question, his answer still shook me. I hadn't expected him to tell me the truth, even if he was one of them.

He, on the other hand, didn't seem to have a problem with revealing such a big secret to a human like me. This made me wonder if he even knew that I was a human? I mean, how could he tell?