two

Lisa arrived at the restaurant Saturday morning at 6:00 AM. She had over twelve hours until the soft opening but she was too nervous to do anything other than check and recheck the setup. The kitchen staff would be arriving later that morning and the wait staff would be arriving a couple of hours before the opening. Lisa wanted a little time by herself just to review everything.

Right around seven that morning Lisa was surprised to hear knocking at the restaurant door. She walked to the window and peeked out to see who was there. Much to her delight, Jennie and their mother stood outside the door. She rushed over and pulled it open.

"Surprise!" Minzy shouted and Jennie stood there smiling widely and holding a tray with three coffees and a bag of pastries.

"Oh, my gosh," Lisa said, "come in, come in. How did you guys know I'd be here?"

"I figured you probably got here before sun came up," Jennie said.

"You're not too far off," Lisa said, "Is that coffee for me?"

"Yep, and we have some blueberry kolach, too," Minzy answered. "I know even though you are surrounded by food you forget to eat when you get nervous."

Lisa bit into the kolach and hummed softly, "Wow, these are really pretty good. The fruit is fresh. This couldn't have come from a chain bakery."

"I would never show up on your restaurant opening day with chain store donuts, even if they are Jennie's favorite," Minzy said.

"Guilty as charged. Give me a Dunkins glaze and I am totally good to go," Jennie answered laughing.

"There is a locally owned bakery and coffee shop in my neighborhood where I bought these for you," Minzy said.

"Maybe one day we could go there together," Lisa said, "I'd love to talk to the locals around here about where they source their products."

"Or we could just go and enjoy a cup of coffee," Minzy said giggling.

"I'd love that too, Minzy," Lisa answered. Despite the fact that Minzy had taken her into her family after the death of her parents, Lisa had never called her Mom. It had nothing to do with their love for one another. Minzy had supported Lisa unequivocally, even when Lisa was not doing well. It just felt to Lisa like it would be sort of disrespectful to her mother. She still missed her so much.

Jennie was roaming around the dining area checking everything out while Minzy and Lisa chatted. She was so proud of Lisa. She tried to help as Lisa struggled after her parent's deaths. Lisa always put on a strong face when they were around others but there were many nights when she had to climb into Lisa's bed to calm her from her nightmares. There were a few years where Lisa struggled so much that Jennie wondered if she would ever come out alright. Seeing the restaurant look so beautiful in their hometown filled Jennie with happiness.

"Lisa-yah, this place is amazing," Jennie said, "It's so you."

"What do you mean it's so me?" Lisa asked.

"The colors, the décor," Jennie said, "It's so warm and welcoming, but it still looks fancy and refined. I can't wait to see it filled with people tonight."

"I hope people show up," Lisa said.

"Lis, you might have too many people show up," Jennie said, "everyone around town has been talking about it. I don't think you realize what a big deal you are."

"I'm nervous," Lisa said, happy to be able to just talk truthfully to her family.

"Lisa, you work harder than anyone I know," Minzy answered, "I am positive you are prepared for tonight. You have nothing to be nervous about." Minzy pulled Lisa into a tight hug.